Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really sure what the top speed I've reached. I've gotten around 90 and the RPMs were up pretty high that's all I remember. And no I'm not building a race car I'm just looking into ways to get a little more oomph because I can't get answers about cool air intakes and performance chips on here

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Reason I asked that question, most Hondas Ive had topped oyt when they hit redline in the top gear.

"Performance chips" are a waste from what Ive seen. They are good for robbing you of your hard earned money though.

First thing performance wise is to get something like KPro, which isnt available for the CRV, it makes it so your ECU is tunable to the MODs you install. Its really the only way to get any serious gains.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I believe these engines are the same as the ones in the Accords. That being said you might be able to buy a cold air intake for an Accord and make it work. Honda4Life will probably be able to help you better than I can though.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,647 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I never thought of the CRV as a rice rocket platform... I just can't envision a CRV winding out past redline (with a fart can hanging off the back). That's what Civics are for ;-)

The stock engines are pretty efficient and it takes some serious investment to measurably improve it. The gearing and suspension don't really lend themselves towards much more than they already have. I've always thought my '09 had a good amount of "oomph", but I'm not sure I'd want to be racing around over 100 in it. Take off and passing have seldom left me wanting much more.

Maybe I'm just getting old :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Turbo :). A bunch of guys on k20a use the crv short block to make nice power.

You can tune it with the aem fic unless you car is an 02-04 model with the 5mt transmsission. Then hondata kpro would work and u can unlock the speed governor

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I never thought of the CRV as a rice rocket platform... I just can't envision a CRV winding out past redline (with a fart can hanging off the back). That's what Civics are for ;-)

The stock engines are pretty efficient and it takes some serious investment to measurably improve it. The gearing and suspension don't really lend themselves towards much more than they already have. I've always thought my '09 had a good amount of "oomph", but I'm not sure I'd want to be racing around over 100 in it. Take off and passing have seldom left me wanting much more.

Maybe I'm just getting old :)
There is a vid that has been around for years of a bone stock looking 1st gen smoking the crap out of an Evo 8 on a drag strip. Its from a mid eastern or european country.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, I'm pretty new to this, so it's all a little complicated. I'm just wondering for some good ways to increase the mpg and torque and HP

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Maybe? May decrease them as well. Its happend with other aftermarket parts on other Honda models.

The only way to get good performace improvements with any "bolt on" item is to 1st have a tunable ECU.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts