Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder why I constantly get the spinning beach ball/screen freeze-up, when on this site, on my iMac?:confused2:........rarely see the spinning beach ball on other websites. It just started here say a week, or so, ago. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I'm on a Mac and haven't noticed it taking any longer than other websites I visit.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently the Admins don't like my Mac.:Dunno: Had other problems a while back that others were not experiencing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
2008 MacBook Pro user, no issues with this forum, however I do get issues with other forums and the beach ball of death.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Apparently the Admins don't like my Mac.:Dunno: Had other problems a while back that others were not experiencing.
Maybe you need a newer Mac, or updated OS? ;)

Mine's a late 2014 Mac Mini with an i7 running High Sierra 10.13.6.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2017 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Okay, then how about a faster internet connection?
I'm running a Cable connection that speedtest.net says is 26 ms ping, 132 mbps download, 11 mbps upload.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing has changed regarding our internet connection, that I am aware of (cable as well). And as I mentioned, the spinning beach ball just started a week ago, give or take. At least I still have the smilies.:applause:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I get this with every click here, with W10 and Edge or IE. The short answer is that it has to do with animations loading with web pages, and how your OS and browser handle them.

The long answer: It's long-running scripts while ads or other animations load. I have 200mbps broadband and yet get it on most websites. As I understand it from a local tech wizard friend of mine, it is an artifact of the internet's slow changeover from HTML 4 to 5, and in that regard is related to changeover from Adobe Flash protocols to HTML 5 standards which don't use Flash. Apparently Flash is now considered outmoded due to both HTML function limitations and security issues, but there are a lot of folks out there still using HTML 4-based OS's and browsers, as well as video and animated ad-writing software, and website construction software (likely including this site), and they cannot simply just flip a switch from 4 to 5. So software currently still has to retain the ability to load using both HTML versions. From v4 back all versions were backward compatible, but v5 is radically different (relatively speaking) and cannot be backward compatible if it is to do what it is for, which is to make the internet load way, way faster. It would cause too much crashing. Heck, in my experience, it creates some as it is now. So it's going to be a while before this goes away. You can easily see an example of this. Go to MSN.com. You will see that the entire page loads literally instantaneously, ads and all. This is pure v5 HTML coding at work. As the changeover progresses, we will see more and more of this, and eventually the glitchy period we are experiencing right now will become a distant memory. Browsing will be so much quicker it will be like the difference between an HDD and an SSD, which is profound. And internet 2.0 will have arrived.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow......I would almost swear I started this thread in the Site Issues forum and not the Gen 5 forum.....thanks for moving, and my bad/apologies.:Darn:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts