Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped our 2019 CRV at the dealership. My husband went thru a little water on the road and it caused the splash guard to drop and crumple! Honda says it is our fault. Is this car such a snowflake that any water will cause this issue!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Is hubby coming clean about "a little water"???? Could be a one in a million occurance.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he did go thru some water but nothing over the tire! Would that cause the splash guard to fall off? Have we bought a “snow flake” of a car?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Well he did go thru some water but nothing over the tire!
A tire is about 24 inches in height. So that tells us only that he did not go through water more then 24 inches deep. If you were refering to only the bottom rubber on the tire.. that would be 4-5 inches..and depending... that could do it. Could also be your husband is understating what happened, since he damaged your new CRV.

FACT: water is like concrete if you hit it at any real speed. Don't believe me.. do a belly flop in any swimming pool and then check how red your belly is and how much it hurts.

So, yeah.. he probably hit some notable water at some speed and it damaged the splash guard. 5 or 6 inches of water at any speed, would do it. So the dealer is correct about "it's the owners fault".. not the dealer and not Honda. If he had hit a foot or so of water at speed, it probably would have damaged the front bumper fascia.

I would also inspect the underside covers under the engine, as well as the sound deadening panels on each side under the cabin to make sure none of those are damaged or missing.

And please.. stop with the "snowflake" pejoratives if you actually want constructive feedback. :) Your husband hit water, and a plastic part was damaged. Tell him to slow down next time. Tell him to take responsibility for it and pay for the replacement part.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I don’t recall seeing this subject before in the 2+ years I’ve been here so they must be sturdy enough to easily handle “a little water”. The tire clears away most of any water encountered before “a little water” reaches the mud flap. The tire probably went over whatever was solid/hard that broke the mud flap. Hubby ain’t coming clean.

Buy a set of 4, have the dealer replace the broken one and hold on to the other 3 snowflakes for when your hubby drives your V.👍

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
What exactly is a splash guard? It could be any number of things--I've heard mud flaps or even the large piece of plastic beneath the engine called a "splash guard." A photo would help. ;) But in all the abuse I've dished out to our Hondas over the years, I've never had water damage any of the plastics or rubber on the car. There is also a possibility it was never attached correctly.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
"over the tire" could also mean the distance from the bottom of the wheel to the ground, which I'd call the tire sidewall height.
If they drove through water as tall as the top of the tires then there'd be significant damage to the vehicle.

And perhaps they're talking about damage to the lower engine cover?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
And perhaps they're talking about damage to the lower engine cover?
That's what I was wondering. In other Hondas, there are usually several clips and two 10mm bolts (or like in the Civic, two Phillips-head screws) holding that lower cover on, including a couple of clips inside the tire wells. And it would take a lot to "blast" that off with a lot of water. I've had my mud guard come loose on my ancient '97 (one of the three screws popped out), but it saw the abuse of a lot of snow and ice packed into the tire well over the years.

That is why I am hoping the OP can post a photo of the damage, so we can see where it happened and how bad it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We dropped off our car at our local dealership. The service manager said that 4 other cars were repaired that day with a similar problem. He admitted that it appeared to be a design defect. There were thousands of people driving with some water on the road, at low speeds, that did not suffer any damage. He said that this shield was probably not installed properly after our recent oil change. The shield was not horizontal, and any water (or any other impediment) could cause the shield to crumble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We dropped off our car at our local dealership. The service manager said that 4 other cars were repaired that day with a similar problem. He admitted that it appeared to be a design defect. There were thousands of people driving with some water on the road, at low speeds, that did not suffer any damage. He said that this shield was probably not installed properly after our recent oil change. The shield was not horizontal, and any water (or any other impediment) could cause the shield to crumble.
What exactly is a splash guard? It could be any number of things--I've heard mud flaps or even the large piece of plastic beneath the engine called a "splash guard." A photo would help. ;) But in all the abuse I've dished out to our Hondas over the years, I've never had water damage any of the plastics or rubber on the car. There is also a possibility it was never attached correctly.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Wow! On the bright side, at least it is just a plastic cover, and nothing mechanical was damaged. But it is still a hassle to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yep, bet the metal engine cover was improperly re-installed after a service. The front/leading edge of the metal cover goes over/on top of the plastic it is attached to. I wouldn't call that a design defect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a 2017 and a similar issue happened, but I am not certain if it even was water that caused it, but it happened immediately after an oil change... I ended up fixing it myself with some hammer tapping in sand because the dealership said we had to have hit something big on the road. If anyone ever has this part bend, they are fairly easy to straighten and the bolts are readily available at any hardware store, just bring one in to match it.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
We have a 2017 and a similar issue happened, but I am not certain if it even was water that caused it, but it happened immediately after an oil change... I ended up fixing it myself with some hammer tapping in sand because the dealership said we had to have hit something big on the road. If anyone ever has this part bend, they are fairly easy to straighten and the bolts are readily available at any hardware store, just bring one in to match it.
Most likely re-installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A tire is about 24 inches in height. So that tells us only that he did not go through water more then 24 inches deep. If you were refering to only the bottom rubber on the tire.. that would be 4-5 inches..and depending... that could do it. Could also be your husband is understating what happened, since he damaged your new CRV.

FACT: water is like concrete if you hit it at any real speed. Don't believe me.. do a belly flop in any swimming pool and then check how red your belly is and how much it hurts.

So, yeah.. he probably hit some notable water at some speed and it damaged the splash guard. 5 or 6 inches of water at any speed, would do it. So the dealer is correct about "it's the owners fault".. not the dealer and not Honda. If he had hit a foot or so of water at speed, it probably would have damaged the front bumper fascia.

I would also inspect the underside covers under the engine, as well as the sound deadening panels on each side under the cabin to make sure none of those are damaged or missing.

And please.. stop with the "snowflake" pejoratives if you actually want constructive feedback. :) Your husband hit water, and a plastic part was damaged. Tell him to slow down next time. Tell him to take responsibility for it and pay for the replacement part.
Five to six inches of water translates most likely to the guy driving through a deep pot hole where the water and the side of the hole took out his splash guard. If 5-6 inches of flowing water across a road say from a flash flooded stream, the whole car would have been taken out. I watched a National Guard Humvee wash off a road by an overflowing stream which submerged the road at a bridge crossing.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
If that engine cover is installed incorrectly (front of cover below plastic vs on top of plastic), I could see air pressure (at speed) pushing the cover down, just asking for something to grab it. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 22 Posts