Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Honda crv. My windshield had a 6" Crack one morning. Took it to honda dealer, Nope, nothing wrong with the windshield other than a rock bruise. The next morning windshield cracking across bottom and up drivers side, each change of direction of the crack produced a rock bruised appearance. There were no rocks, or anything that resembled rocks that fell during the night that could cause this type of cracking. I paid to replace mine and looking to sell the car before I'll be required to replace the existing windshield. 58000 kms, Crv EXL, $32000.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,606 Posts
From your description of multiple progressive "rock bruise" points, are you sure you are not being vandalized? You know.. someone smacking your glass with a small tool or something? It has been known to happen.

That said, It is more likely just a defect caused by a small impact of a foreign object, that then progresses from there to longer and more random cracking. A single pebble impact to a windshield can result in either immediate, OR delayed glass cracking. Same with your front wiper blade holders... if you ever let spring back and allow them to fall to your glass while changing wipers... you can and will get a possible glass strike that compromises the glass.

Here is the part I do not get: because you had a broken windshield and paid to replace it, now you want to unload the vehicle before your windshield breaks again? That makes no sense at all, to me.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,793 Posts
Here is the part I do not get: because you had a broken windshield and paid to replace it, now you want to unload the vehicle before your windshield breaks again? That makes no sense at all, to me.
Unless he plans to buy a car without a windshield. Army surplus tank maybe? Because every other vehicle with a windshield carries the same risk.

·
Registered
2011 CR-V LX 2wd White / 2003 Suzuki XL_7 Limited 4x4
211 Posts
I'm surprised that with a 2019 car he didn't have comprehensive to cover the glass. Insurance would have covered that.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,793 Posts
I'm surprised that with a 2019 car he didn't have comprehensive to cover the glass. Insurance would have covered that.
Not necessarily. I have comprehensive coverage but carry a $1000 deductible, including glass. For me, insurance is to cover catastrophic events I can’t afford to pay out of pocket. For anything else, I’d rather “self insure”.

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,482 Posts
Perhaps there is some type of defect in the surrounding frame. Could be that the frame is not 100% straight, smooth, & level. A little bend/twist in the frame may not show itself when installing, but the constant pounding/flexing that happens to the windshield may force the break.

Before installing a replacement, have them carefully check the frame with a straight edge.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Perhaps there is some type of defect in the surrounding frame. Could be that the frame is not 100% straight, smooth, & level. A little bend/twist in the frame may not show itself when installing, but the constant pounding/flexing that happens to the windshield may force the break.

Before installing a replacement, have them carefully check the frame with a straight edge.
When they install front glass, they use a special sealant/glue and form a solid line of it all around the four sides of the open window frame. The seal line is actually generously applied directly to the metal unibody edges where the glass goes.

IF... IF there was a defect in the sealant/glue, or gaps in the line that could cause unusual stresses, but it would also likely present itself early in the form of leaks.

The metal unibody though will not flex or distort with a properly adhered front glass, so it is unlikely to be a cause.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Not necessarily. I have comprehensive coverage but carry a $1000 deductible, including glass. For me, insurance is to cover catastrophic events I can’t afford to pay out of pocket. For anything else, I’d rather “self insure”.
Really? "Self insure" can get really expensive when you have to pay out of pocket for repairs.

As I recall, the difference in my insurance policies comprehensive coverage at $0 deductable vs $500 or higher was less than 20 dollars a year. Liability deductibles though.. totally different story.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,793 Posts
Really? "Self insure" can get really expensive when you have to pay out of pocket for repairs.

As I recall, the difference in my insurance policies comprehensive coverage at $0 deductable vs $500 or higher was less than 20 dollars a year. Liability deductibles though.. totally different story.
It hasn’t resulted in any significant out of pocket expenses in 50 years. I wouldn't ever entertain making a claim for anything <$5k, eventually the claims result in significantly higher rates or canx. so why bother.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
10,952 Posts
Thread moved to 5th Gen section where its more appropriate :)

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
It hasn’t resulted in any significant out of pocket expenses in 50 years. I wouldn't ever entertain making a claim for anything <$5k, eventually the claims result in significantly higher rates or canx. so why bother.
I hear you. :)

/hands off a large piece of wood to "knock on". :p

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am definitely with you. 1000 deductible on all new vehicles and after 5 years I go with only liability insurance. On my motorcycles I go with only liability after 1 year. I also would not go with honda care unless I had multiple issues during the 3 year warranty period and this has never happened or go with any extended warranty on home appliances etc. I have not been burned by this policy in nearly as many years as you :) I would rather pay myself rather than Honda or some other company.

·
Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,332 Posts
2019 Honda crv. My windshield had a 6" Crack one morning. Took it to honda dealer, Nope, nothing wrong with the windshield other than a rock bruise. The next morning windshield cracking across bottom and up drivers side, each change of direction of the crack produced a rock bruised appearance. There were no rocks, or anything that resembled rocks that fell during the night that could cause this type of cracking. I paid to replace mine and looking to sell the car before I'll be required to replace the existing windshield. 58000 kms, Crv EXL, $32000.
Definitely vandalism.

Go ahead, buy a new car and see if the windshield of that car turns up broken, too.

Everyone, place your bets!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a $500 deductible, but I have "full glass" coverage. It costs peanuts.
Maybe I have been lucky with glass….my 2004 Acura TSX has never needed glass repairs and I drive a lot on highways, just keep away from the dump trucks. My vehicle previous to the 2020 crv was a 2005 XTrail that only needed one quick repair from a large chip.

·
Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,332 Posts
Maybe I have been lucky with glass….my 2004 Acura TSX has never needed glass repairs and I drive a lot on highways, just keep away from the dump trucks. My vehicle previous to the 2020 crv was a 2005 XTrail that only needed one quick repair from a large chip.
I too have been lucky. I do drive a lot so I have replaced my windshield repeatedly over the years due to freeway driving pitting. Never had a windshield crack on me, except for what happened to my CR-V this past Spring. It's cracked and still in place since the crack hasn't grown.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,125 Posts
Take a look at the Subaru Outback forum if you want to read about many, many windshield issues. They seem to have the worst record going right now of any manf. Fortunately mine is not one of them...yet! All manf. are making them so much thinner now trying to decrease weight on the car.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
All manf. are making them so much thinner now trying to decrease weight on the car.
There is some truth to this as glass manufacturers continue to improve their production processes, and sensitivity to weight is a pressure point from vehicle manufacturers.

But I think the reality is not that the glass is thinner (this would be accounted for in glass composition VS federal regulations for safety), it is the fact that modern front glass is also very flat in surface compared to say a decade ago... all in the name of styling and aerodynamics.

There is also a lot of "fancy" glass being deployed by some brands now, such as acoustic glass for example.

·
Registered
2011 CR-V LX 2wd White / 2003 Suzuki XL_7 Limited 4x4
211 Posts
Yep. My comprehensive including $0 deductible for glass is also @$20 a year. 8 years ago a rock from a semi going the other direction cracked the windshield of my then 2005 Escape. It cost me $0 to replace instead of $500. This spring the windshield of my CR-V cracked when I sprayed water on it to wash it. There was a little stone pit at the point where it spidered out. Again it cost me $0 instead of $500 (I'm guestimating the cost). And there have been others in previous years. But at $20 a year for the last 10 years - $200 - I am way ahead of the game. And it does not affect my premiums at all, so why wouldn't I do that? For glass at least.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts