Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
My insurance specifically does not cover glass unless it’s due to hail, fire, theft etc, and not vandalism of the windshield. I asked about glass coverage once and it was a rediculous rate. They spread gravel all over the roads in Alberta and come spring it gets flung all over the place by people driving over the shoulder or exiting the highway late.

I’d hate to drive a jeep!

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L
57 Posts
I read somewhere in the past (can’t remember where) that CR-V windshields are very susceptible to breaking if the windshield wipers are snapped against the windshield.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 2018 CRV is on it's 3rd windshield. Never had an issue with windshields in the 30+ years of car ownership (on the same roads) until I bought my CRV. Last time for what it's worth, Safelite told me that this Gen CRV has an unusually high incidence of windshield cracks. My insurance company told me they would raise me to a $1,000 deductible (currently $100) if I made another windshield replacement claim - so I've decided that if another one cracks I will get it replaced and sell the car. Otherwise I love my CRV - even though yesterday I removed nearly 5 quarts of "oil" during the oil change.

...it cost me $0 instead of $500 (I'm guestimating the cost).
If you have a Gen 5 with the front camera/sensors - the replacement is about $1,100 US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2019 Honda crv. My windshield had a 6" Crack one morning. ....
There may be one or more causes. Windshields crack spontaneously when there's is too much flex in the car's structure causing the glass to bent. Another: an 'instant crack' indicates that the windshield is being bent around some high point in the window frame. Solution: additional 'padding' or flexible (rubbery) material to allow for up the irregularities between the glass and the frame may resolve the issue. Glass does not bent and will crack over time with sufficient pressure.

I have a $500 deductible, but I have "full glass" coverage. It costs peanuts.
Most windshields cost $390-$750, so your coverage is $250 at best. Too much experience with errant rocks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've only had to replace windshields on SUVs. The long sloping glass seems more prone to damage. I have full glass coverage.

I had an Equinox that had no windshields crack but it had acoustic glass. Probably made no difference.

My Saturn VUE had 2 replacments and one damaged in my garage when the installer forgot to secure the work table for installation prep.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,846 Posts
Here in Arizona, $0 deductible glass coverage is required to be offered by auto insurance companies, and it is very reasonably priced. I encourage everyone to ask their insurance company or agent how much $0 deductible glass coverage will cost if added to their policy.

Unfortunately, I have had several windshields cracked/replaced in the last few years, on several different brand cars...and each time Safelite has told me "Oh, this brand seems to have a high number of windshield glass replacements." They have always done an excellent job on my replacements, but I don't think there is any accuracy to their statements about any one auto brand having more or less replacements than any other brand of current or recent year models. This is my opinion. Without any detailed records from all auto glass companies, how would we know?

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,550 Posts
I read somewhere in the past (can’t remember where) that CR-V windshields are very susceptible to breaking if the windshield wipers are snapped against the windshield.
(y) But not CRV specific by any means.

If you drop a wiper arm with no blade attched, I would fully expect it to result in a starburst at the point of contact, and being near the bottom of the window, it will quickly turn into a crack, and being as close as it is to the edge, it is non-repairable.

The best practice is to place a sheet of styrofoam or some stacked towels between glass and wipers before removing the wiper blade. The spring arms are strong on the wiper arms and are kind of on a hair trigger in the up position.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I pay a small amount for $0 deductible glass coverage (New York). I just call State Farm anytime and their vendor handles the appointment and pays the claim. Since my vehicles do not require calibration they have the glass company (been Safelite) replace the windshield in my driveway. I made 2 claims on my Saturn VUE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think this maybe the best time for me to finally ask this question. I have a 2022 EX. A person whose judgment I respect told me that I should purchase and install a ... what do I call this? A Hood Wind Deflector. I purchased it, attached it to the very front of the hood, and runs a good distance across the hood. I can understand how it could deflect bugs from smashing into my windshield, but my friends says it will keep rocks from hitting my hood and windshield. Is this really true?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,846 Posts
I think this maybe the best time for me to finally ask this question. I have a 2022 EX. A person whose judgment I respect told me that I should purchase and install a ... what do I call this? A Hood Wind Deflector. I purchased it, attached it to the very front of the hood, and runs a good distance across the hood. I can understand how it could deflect bugs from smashing into my windshield, but my friends says it will keep rocks from hitting my hood and windshield. Is this really true?
I'm guessing (as I have never installed one of these) that it will not do much for pebbles/rocks. I have had several windshields cracked and needing replacement from pebbles that hit them. They seem to bounce up off the road, and hit the windshield straight on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I highly doubt that the CR-V windshields spontaneously crack for no reason. There is no windshield on any car that is driven that does not have some micro rock chip, that very small chip can under the correct conditions cause a crack, that very small chip causes, in technical terms a stress riser, that makes it easy for a crack to start there. If you do things like pour warm water on an iced up windshield, or the interior heat and even the heat from the sun, or movement of the vehicles body adds some distortion, the glass can crack. Just take a magnifying glass and check the whole windshield, do you see any pits?

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,550 Posts
I highly doubt that the CR-V windshields spontaneously crack for no reason. There is no windshield on any car that is driven that does not have some micro rock chip, that very small chip can under the correct conditions cause a crack, that very small chip causes, in technical terms a stress riser, that makes it easy for a crack to start there. If you do things like pour warm water on an iced up windshield, or the interior heat and even the heat from the sun, or movement of the vehicles body adds some distortion, the glass can crack. Just take a magnifying glass and check the whole windshield, do you see any pits?
Great comment.

Any owner who regularly drives a vehicle and claims there are not impact pits on their front glass, simply is not looking close enough. A more severe problem in some parts of the country than others, but even urban drivers will have impact pits and scratches on their front glass. They also need to understand that the very random nature of foreign object impacts to front glass means some will simply bounce off harmlessly, some will bounce and leave a small pit on the glass, and some will cause a small spider impact on the glass which will then spread into a full on crack due to normal temperature variations of the front glass from hot to cold (which is why it is imperative to get small spider fractures repaired quickly before they have a chance to temperature cycle and spread).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts