Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Hoping someone can help me wire my spotlight to dimmer switch.
Watched a few videos and have them working currently with rely switch and 3way toggle.powered by cigaret lighter fuse piggy backed fuse. I tried first to piggy back headlight fuse under bonnet. But left me without one headlight. As theres a left and right headlight fuse and left and right relay under there.
Do i have to splice into the actual wire coming off dimmer stalk??
As i cannot find a fuse for that dimmer switch..

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving this to Accessories. This section is for meets and local stuff only, and not for vehicle issues or posts. It would probably help lots if you post the year and trim level of your CR-V.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all have a honda crv late 2003 build date..
I took 3 way switch off.But now with wires connected to relay from direct behind headlight i have high beam coming on when in low beam position.. there are 3 wires coming from headlights.The earth , high beam, and low/standard..When i connected relay wire to highbeam /dimmer Spottys work on high beam as they should.But the lowbeam setting on stalk inside car is now activating high beam on headlight. And i think low beam when i engaged highbeam spottys..I tried wiring to lowbeam the spottys activate as i engage lights on light switch stalk inside car..Any help appreciated..I only have relay connected to one side of head lights. Its that an issue??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically power from battery with fuse.to 30 relay. Power 87 out to spot light. Wire from back of headlight to 86 on relay..85 earth to body.Earth wire from spotlight to body ground.Earth wire back of light to body ground. Picture is of the three headlight wires i mentioned above.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So all im trying to do is wire spotlights in a manner that allows me to you no other switches. But the light stalk on steering wheel..
With test light i worked out which headlight wire was which...And i presume the third wire was earth in above picture..As there was no power to it..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke to a co workers brother who is an auto electrican. He was the person who said connect the two wires off back of the lights to relay..
And when i discovered 3 wires not 2.
That through a curveball.
So i presumed one was earth. And with test light there where two active wires when lights activated..So presumed one was earth....
Anyway when i rang him he said hard to know without seeing settup.
So im glad i sorted it and if someone can learn from this post its not in vain..Cheers

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
What are you calling a spotlight? A spotlight is an adjustable-aim light mounted on a hand-controlled swiveling mechanism, located at the bottom of the front windshield pillar, on a police car or other first responder vehicle, Jeep, or hunting buggy, etc. Anything else is NOT a spotlight. So what exactly do you have there? It it off-road lights on the bumper, Like the Piaa ones, or what? Please clarify, or include a picture. It might be important depending on where you are located, as here, they are illegal for on-road use. If they are allowed at all they must be manually switched and never used on any public road - off-road use only.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What are you calling a spotlight? A spotlight is an adjustable-aim light mounted on a hand-controlled swiveling mechanism, located at the bottom of the front windshield pillar, on a police car or other first responder vehicle, Jeep, or hunting buggy, etc. Anything else is NOT a spotlight. So what exactly do you have there? It it off-road lights on the bumper, Like the Piaa ones, or what? Please clarify, or include a picture. It might be important depending on where you are located, as here, they are illegal for on-road use. If they are allowed at all they must be manually switched and never used on any public road - off-road use only.
Maybe not down under in Australia??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry guys yeh in aus. We are a bit weird.. Spotlights can be hand held or fixed dual spotlight. You might call them off road lights..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.