Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my ride is having some misfire issues...

BUT it gets weird. They're not normal issues.

When I first start it up after it's been sitting for, I don't know, 4 hours or more, it stutters, like it's not getting enough fuel, but at the same time it smells like it's getting TOO much fuel. I haven't kept a good enough eye on the gas to know if it's eating more than it's using, but I will know soon enough.

Anyways, the engine runs fine after about 15 minutes of driving, usually highway, on the way to work. Thought it was maybe an injector issue, but I imagine an injector is either clogged, or it isn't. Doesn't make sense for it to clog every time I let it sit for more than 4 hours.

It seems to sputter and then finally "catch" the right fuel/air ratio for a second, jolting forward, until I hit the gas a little harder, then it sputters again.

I also thought it could be the spark plug connector (not sure what it's called), but then again, that would be electrical and if it didn't work in the beginning, then it shouldn't magically fix itself after 15 minutes of driving, right?

I just changed the spark plugs, so I know it's not that. I also just changed the cat converter, and the O2 sensor closest to the rear of the converter. I know there's a technical term for that particular sensor, but I can't think of it at the moment.

I'm just at a loss with this. I'm usually pretty good with figuring things out, but I don't know enough about cars to know what is going on.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, being as this is my only means of transportation.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Sounds like a bad injector. One is leaking and dumping the contents of the fuel rail into the engine.

The connectors I'm assuming your talking the boots. Should replace all 4 at the same time.

O2 sensor at the converter is just that. o2 sensor. It matters little. The one in the front (closest to the engine) Honda calls the fuel/air ratio sensor. That one can make a HUGE difference. And have to buy either Honda direct part or the Denso replacement only.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
7,895 Posts
If you have a misfiring cylinder, it's not completely burning the fuel. That's why you get the feeling that its getting TOO much fuel.

Injectors are like a faucet, they open and close to let a metered amount of fuel in. If they get clogged/dirty, they can drip when they SHOULD be turned off.

TOO much fuel will 'kill your cat con again if you don't resolve the issue. Do what Tigris99 said.

As a diagnostic, drive the engine for a few minutes but thewn checvk the plugs. Note any differences in color. That might help ID which cylinder you should look at.

Another thing: you don't mention mileage, but when was the last time your valve clearances were adjusted? Out-of-spec clearances can cause differences in hot VS cold running.

Lastly, have you ever cleaned your throttle body? Weird stuff can happen if the bore & butterfly are dirty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have a misfiring cylinder, it's not completely burning the fuel. That's why you get the feeling that its getting TOO much fuel.

Injectors are like a faucet, they open and close to let a metered amount of fuel in. If they get clogged/dirty, they can drip when they SHOULD be turned off.

TOO much fuel will 'kill your cat con again if you don't resolve the issue. Do what Tigris99 said.

As a diagnostic, drive the engine for a few minutes but thewn checvk the plugs. Note any differences in color. That might help ID which cylinder you should look at.

Another thing: you don't mention mileage, but when was the last time your valve clearances were adjusted? Out-of-spec clearances can cause differences in hot VS cold running.

Lastly, have you ever cleaned your throttle body? Weird stuff can happen if the bore & butterfly are dirty.
Motor has 170k on it. I've had it a little over a year. Never had valves adjusted and never cleaned throttle body.

I will look into those soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally found a thread that articulates the same problem I have in my 2007. Did changing the o2 sensor stop the temporary sputtering?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts