Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day when I was making a tight u-turn that a squealing sound came from the rear end of the vehicle... I can only describe it as though a large dump truck was coming to a stop and the brakes squealing sound that they can make... Definitely coming from the rear and it only does it when I make an extremely tight turn... I pulled in a parking lot and did a few figure eights it does it in both directions... my CRV has 215 55 17 inch tires on it... I have the original rims but cannot afford any tires now but I have been wanting to put the original rims and tires on it... I don't know if the non stock tire size could be causing an issue... It has Acura rims on it... any advice appreciated thank you...

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
223 Posts
Id start with the basics. Remove the rear tires and look for any signs of rubbing. Remove the drums and inspect the shoes. Also service the rear diff to take that out of the equation. Make sure you only use Honda fluid. 2 quarts is more then enough.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,225 Posts
X2 on recommending a differential fluid change (drain & fill).

You symptoms fit that sound to a "T". Rear diff fluid should be replaced every 30K miles...if that fixes it, do the D&F a second time to refresh more of it.

The Honda brand fluid is called "Dual Pump II". It has specific friction characteristics for the wet clutches inside the diff.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I always do a trans and rear diff service every 2 years/30,000 miles on all of my vehicles. The rear diff oil is spec'd for Honda Dual Pump II fluid (aka DPSF II) and Honda only has one contractor that makes it to Honda specifications (I believe Eneos). The safest thing to do is always use the OEM fluids that way you know you're getting something that meets the specs, but yes, I would have that changed.

·
Registered
2000 Honda CR-v 5-speed AWD
58 Posts
100% the rear diff. Change the fluid in it and only use honda recommended fluid. Its hondo DPF II or something like that off the top of my head.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
After you do a drain and fill of the rear diffy, it is recommended that you do around 10, almost wheel lock, SLOW-speed turns in each direction to 'burnish' the clutches in the rear diffy. Repeat a couple of times.
It was either 5 or 10 in each direction, but I can't remember. Not necessary overall, but I think it is a good thing to do.

If you do it yourself, break the fill plug (upper) loose first before you remove the lower drain plug to drain it.
Why, well you finish draining the diffy and then you can't remove the upper fill plug and then WHAT? :eek:
The hardest part of the job is putting in the new fluid. I use a pump .but some use different methods with long tubing going out a wheel well. Still, not a hard job. I think it takes 1.1 US qts. Many just buy a one qt bottle of DP-2 and just use Honda ATF for the 0.1 qt. The very best is to use all DP-2 fluid.
In the 99 owner's manual it said to use Honda CVT fluid (page 209 ) and in the 2000 OM it said to use Honda Dual Pump fluid (page 209). The new Honda Dual Pump 2 fluid is supposed to be even better. I always wonder what people in 3rd world Countries use as they probably can't even get DP-2 . :(

Buffalo4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for the quick responses....Differential fluid it is,ill make sure to get the correct honda brand...Am i safe to drive it? Maybe be a week or two before i can get it done and i dont want to damage anything....Only makes the sound during a tight turn....

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,225 Posts
Yes, you can drive it for a week or two.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good info all! Yeah, when you hear that squeal it’s time for a diff fluid, (Honda brand), change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts