Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2017 LX with grey interior and a mystery stain on the center of the seat. I must have gotten something on the seat or my pants and streaked it across the seat getting in or out. Looks like it may be a grease type of stain but not sure.

I put baking soda on in and let it set before vacuuming it up with very little results. Before ruining my seat, I have been researching stain removal on fabric. It seems that I need to understand what type cleaning the seat fabric supports. Water vs solvent vs call a professional.

Does anyone know what type cleaning the cloth fabric seats is designed for? Any suggestions on where to start on this effort?

I called Honda and they recommended a local car wash that does detail cleaning but they have a lot of bad reviews.

Any help or suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to be sick over this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This might sound crazy, Johnson's Baby Shampoo on a moist microfiber towel, if you don't have an old towel, try using multiple paper towels rolled up.

I got grease from a bicycle chain on one of my favorite t-shirts, my wife said use the baby shampoo as described above...it works!

We use it on carpet spots, and all fabric spots we come across. If it was my car, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to go this route, go with the grain of the fabric.

Good Luck

·
Registered
653 Posts
Several years ago, a clueless relative got automotive grease on my vehicle fabric seats. All over the seat area and back. Nothing worked except Castrol "purple stuff" cleaner. I sprayed it on and wiped it off with a damp cloth and it immediately came clean. I've also used it to get oil/grease stain out of carpet -- both in the car and my house.

I would spray it lightly on the stain (dilution instructions are on the label) and immediately wipe it off, not letting it soak in. If you are worried about residual staining, try the cleaner first on a somewhat hidden area at the bottom of the seat to make sure it will work for your fabric.

As far as water based or solvent based, I think most fabrics accept water based (and the Castrol is water based since you dilute with water).

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a had great great great luck with "Tuff N Stuff" from autozone. That thing is real magic. Spray it, leave it on for a minute. Wipe. It's awesome. And never had an issue damaging any material. They always recommend trying it on an inconspicuous place, I always do and it's never an issue.

Make sure you don't breathe any of it in. But I have full confidence that product will remove it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Something that has worked for me, and is both convenient and less-harsh is waterless hand cleaner (Goop, FastOrange, Permatex, etc.; get the kind without pumice.) Think about it; it's primary job in life is to cut grease that soap won't even touch.

A toothbrush and some of the handcleaner works very well, and you might already have some in your garage. I even use the stuff on clothes. A big advantage of it is that it doesn't "soak in" to your seat, so you need less of it.

Another cleaner I use often (works well for stains that are not automotive grease) is "Folex". It's $6 for a huge bottle, and sold at the part of a Home Improvement store that sells janitorial supplies; it's next to the other carpet cleaners.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,643 Posts
I've had good results using Rug Doctor mixed into a hand held sprayer. Spray, brush, wipe dry with a clean cotton cloth.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My wife leaked her period out on the seat and it cleaned off fairly easy the next day. She used SHOUT advanced action gel spray.
When your wife finds out you posted that personal info, you will probably have a much bigger problem than a stained seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.