Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have an '08 model with 136K on it which I'm planning to keep another 3+ yrs [knock, knock!].:eek:

Am about to replace front rotors [NAPA Premium] & pads [Akebono ceramic], along with rear pads [Akebono ceramic].

Would like to replace present brake hoses with stainless steel components. Anyone out there ever replace rubber with ss?

Any recommendations as to brand of ss brake lines?

May have mistyped/misspoke: want to replace present rubber brake fluid hoses with braided stainless steel brake fluid hoses. Any recommendations for this?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
I've gone with SS lines on my sports car. The benefits are a firmer pedal on the track, and resistance to swelling on the inside and heat on the outside.

That said, for a normally-driven car that you intend to keep three more years (or even ten more years), the extra costs may not be worthwhile (unless you found a screamin' deal, of course). :)

PS, I LOVE Akebono pads for my street cars. I HATE cleaning off brake dust...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update:

Did the change on Sunday, 27 Sep. Glad I changed both front & rear pads. Rear pads had only about 1mm to go before the wear indicators started screeching. Rear disks looked fine, did not notice any appreciable wear/striping. Front pads were OK, but still replaced them.

Had little problems getting front disks off. Squirted WD-40 on all 4 screws before I tackled the rears. Purchased a philips #2 head for 3/8" drive. When came time to do the fronts, placed extension on drive head, held firmly against the screws, and firmly hit with 2lbs. mallet about 10 times each. Screws came out with a regular philips screwdriver.

When time came to install new rotors, used Permatex anti seize on screws, as others have stated. New pads give a more secure feeling to stops.

Did notice that LRear strut has failed - oil all over the bottom of it. Have ordered KYB replacement shocks all around [new boots & front top bearings,too]. Rears look fairly easy to replace, fronts not so. Have gotten quotes for labor to install new shocks ranging from $480 - $700.

Am looking for answers to the following questions:

1. Old front disk pads did not have small retaining springs. Did notice on my son's '05 CRV that his had these springs. Can't get them by themselves, have to buy entire front pad set to get them [ouch!]. Any problems not using them, as I did not notice any problems with the old pad set?

2. Caliper sliding pins pulled and lubed. One pin had flat sides, the other had a black plastic knob at its end. Have seen different diagrams & videos as to which pin goes where. Thought flat sided pin goes on top, knob pin goes on bottom. Any problem with having these reversed?

3. Have noticed an intermittent vibration coming through the steering wheel at speeds above 55. Just had tires balanced today, but still feel vibration. Vibration is not constant, although does seem to occur more often after a lane change. Tires were torqued to 80 lbs. Could placement of caliper pins be a cause?

Thanks in advance.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,919 Posts
Yeah, they seem to be in different positions on different models and years (which is probably why I can't remember which goes where, without looking it up!)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Checked with local Honda service manager this morning.

Now comes the Homer Simpson "Doh" moment, followed by a dope slap on the head.

In the diagram mentioned above, the caliper is located at the rear of the disk, closest to the driver. In this position, the flat sided pin is located at the top, the round pin is located at the bottom.

On my '08 CRV, the caliper is rotated 180 degrees, that is it located at the front of the disk, closest to the front bumper. In this position, the flat sided pin is now at the bottom whereas the round pin is at the top. [sorry for the unique POV]

Took my front wheels off & discovered that I had the pins reversed: flat top, round bottom. Made the change - round top, flat bottom, but still have the intermittent vibration between 60-70 that I had before. Am taking it into the local Honda dealership tomorrow morning to see what is going on, and, more importantly, what it will cost to fix the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2nd update regarding vibrations:

Honda dealership discovered both front tires were out of round. Both needed to get approx 4.5 oz weight on each to get them back in balance. Took "V" back to Pep boys, where I purchased tires in late spring, who replaced both under warranty.

Now just waiting for all strut pieces to arrive so that I can tackle replacing the rears. I'm leaving the fronts to the professionals!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts