Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I recently picked up my new 2020 CRV Sport during conversation with the salesman I asked about putting the start button into the accessory position. After he explained how to do it he advised against it. He said due to all the electronics he said the battery would be dead in less than 1/2 hr, does this sound about right, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,581 Posts
When I recently picked up my new 2020 CRV Sport during conversation with the salesman I asked about putting the start button into the accessory position. After he explained how to do it he advised against it. He said due to all the electronics he said the battery would be dead in less than 1/2 hr, does this sound about right, thanks.
Simply put... activating and leaving your vehicle in accessory mode is NOT advised for any length of time. Minutes, perhaps, at most. Longer than that... just start your engine and let it idle in park. The 1.5T sips very little fuel when sitting parked and idle.

A half hour may be a bit pessimistic on a brand new battery in a brand new vehicle.. but yeah.. accessory mode powers up most of the electronics and the average current when active is between 5 and 10 amps... so even the bigger battery they put into the 2020s... it will drop within a couple hours to the point of being unable to start the engine... Assuming the battery was even fully charged.. which in Honda's they rarely are.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,176 Posts
Batteries these days just arent as long lasting as they were even five years ago.

Avoiding using electrical power without the engine is always preferable and best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts