Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been waiting for the 2020's to arrive to purchase a CR-V for my wife. I was hoping for better looking wheels, perhaps more progress on the oil dilution issue, and other mid-cycle updates. I now found out that the 20's have Start-Stop technology, which I very much dislike. I drive a Rav4 Hybrid, which I love. It is not the same, since it uses a large electric motor to start, and is much more seamless, with proven long term reliability. Because of this, We are now thinking of picking up a left over 2019. I under stand the start-stop can be shut off, but you have to do it every time you start the vehicle. Fuel savings for this are negligible, and would certainly be negated by a starter replacement. I was wondering if anyone who has experience with a vehicle with this technology had any thoughts or comments. I have talked to several people who have had rental cars with it, and they all disliked it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's a special start-stop starter motor, no need to worry about premature wear. It's not as much the fuel economy issue (there is some effect in start-stop traffic), it's cleaner air.

I have two diesel cars with start stop. Works great, there's nothing to dislike really. You'll lose 0.2 seconds at traffic lights if this is a factor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a special start-stop starter motor, no need to worry about premature wear. It's not as much the fuel economy issue (there is some effect in start-stop traffic), it's cleaner air.

I have two diesel cars with start stop. Works great, there's nothing to dislike really. You'll lose 0.2 seconds at traffic lights if this is a factor.

Perhaps, but if fuel economy is hardly impacted, how much effect is there on air quality. I guess every little bit helps. As far as premature wear, I would think you still have the issue of exponentially more starts without oil pressure.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Perhaps, but if fuel economy is hardly impacted, how much effect is there on air quality. I guess every little bit helps. As far as premature wear, I would think you still have the issue of exponentially more starts without oil pressure.
It's a scale effect. If there are ten cars at stoplights, all start-stop equipped, the air quality matches background level. No cloud of inefficiently burnt fuel.

The oil pressure builds up in a fraction of a second, the "old" oli film is still there from previous run.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Our new Honda Passports have this (... we had full awareness of this prior to purchases...) and it is very annoying rumble/vibration. If you are in traffic where each car moves just a few meters the system constantly alternates stop-go-start and it cycles with AC on/off. The noise is very loud also when starter engages.

So, we just always remember to disable it at 1st start. Have to press a button on shift panel anyway so do it at the same time as pressing D/S.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 17 crv doesn’t have it
But my wifes work 18’ equinox does.

it was slightly annoying at first but im used to it now, (although if it was an option i wouldnt select it)

i just lightly lift the brake at lights to trick it to start so that it doesnt have to engage when i need to move.
We dont really care about the mpg since work pays for gas/car/ins

however if my crv had it , i’d just wire in the jumper like the pilot guys have done to permanently disable it and call it a day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 17 crv doesn’t have it
But my wifes work 18’ equinox does.

it was slightly annoying at first but im used to it now, (although if it was an option i wouldnt select it)

i just lightly lift the brake at lights to trick it to start so that it doesnt have to engage when i need to move.
We dont really care about the mpg since work pays for gas/car/ins

however if my crv had it , i’d just wire in the jumper like the pilot guys have done to permanently disable it and call it a day.
How do you "wire in the jumper"?

·
Registered
242 Posts
How do you "wire in the jumper"?
this is one thread, there are a bunch more depending on honda model.

·
Registered
341 Posts
it is very annoying rumble/vibration. If you are in traffic where each car moves just a few meters the system constantly alternates stop-go-start and it cycles with AC on/off. The noise is very loud also when starter engages.
Weird, it's almost unnoticeable in my diesel vans. Just a faint squeak from the starter, no other noises/rubles.

·
Registered
401 Posts
this is one thread, there are a bunch more depending on honda model.

I really dislike this feature so I hope my 2018 lasts a long time.

Regarding the option to "short" the idle stop switch (described in the piloteers forum) I wonder if this is a safe long term solution. My understanding (limited to what I have read, no actual experience) is that the on/off switch sends a 12 volt spike to the "control circuit" to stop it. Pressing the on/off again, another 12 volt spike, turns it back on. Shorting it would maintain a constant 12 volts on the "circuit" and I wonder about the long term effects of the constant voltage vs just a spike. ???

·
Registered
341 Posts
My understanding (limited to what I have read, no actual experience) is that the on/off switch sends a 12 volt spike to the "control circuit" to stop it. Pressing the on/off again, another 12 volt spike, turns it back on. Shorting it would maintain a constant 12 volts on the "circuit" and I wonder about the long term effects of the constant voltage vs just a spike. ???
It would be very simple to do with an Arduino controller connected to the button wires for example. One pin would monitor the state of a switched power wire related to engine running, another pin would "click" the button once and remain in the conditional loop while the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
While I share the general view of this being an addition not asked for or desired... I think it is premature to be condemning it before we even had a chance to see feedback as to how well it works for the mid-cycle refresh of the gen5 CRV.

Anyone that simply does not like it and does not want to use it, yet can't be bothered to use the disable button (one quick and simple press of the button after starting the vehicle, ... then I have zero sympathy for you. Some things in life can be complex or difficult.. this feature simply does not make the cut in my view.

Clearly... Honda is rolling this feature into every update of their vehicles... so it's coming to all Hondas... like it or not. Same for many other manufacturers. Owners either cope, or fall to the ground in fetal protest I guess. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The start/stop feature is a terrible idea that nobody wants. Why would car manufacturers force such a feature on consumers? I suspect it's government interference/regulation. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The start/stop feature is a terrible idea that nobody wants. Why would car manufacturers force such a feature on consumers? I suspect it's government interference/regulation. It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.
Helps them follow the restrictions for less fuel consumption etc

·
Super Moderator
3,222 Posts
Stop start is here to stay on most brands.i've only driven a few rental cars with it. To me it's not an issue. its also fun to figure out ways to fool the system...

·
Registered
401 Posts
The picture from a BMW shows a much better design and location for the "off" button. This is far better than the 2020 CR-V which is on the upper passenger side of the shifter console and harder to reach. Maybe Honda will learn.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The picture from a BMW shows a much better design and location for the "off" button. This is far better than the 2020 CR-V which is on the upper passenger side of the shifter console and harder to reach. Maybe Honda will learn.

View attachment 136198
Personally, I would not want the off switch located the way BMW does it.

Why? way too easy to hit the start stop engine button when it is co-located like that... thus forcing your auto engine off, only to have to restart it and then reapply the A-off button yet again. I guess it does have the merit of being a two button sequential process.. which is probably the way BMW sees it... but again... carelessness on the part of a driver will completely defeat the location chosen here.

BMW often tries to be just a bit too clever in some of their vehicle features. I also do not like that the modern BMWs do not come with an oil dipstick either... and you are left to trust the vehicle to let you know if you have an oil level issue via an electronic display of oil level. Given BMW thinks it is normal to burn through a quart of oil ever 1K miles... perhaps they went this route for the "never check the oil" crowd.

·
Registered
541 Posts
BMW often tries to be just a bit too clever in some of their vehicle features. I also do not like that the modern BMWs do not come with an oil dipstick either... and you are left to trust the vehicle to let you know if you have an oil level issue via an electronic display of oil level. Given BMW thinks it is normal to burn through a quart of oil ever 1K miles... perhaps they went this route for the "never check the oil" crowd.
I believe it was implemented to conceal Oil Dilution, since they have been using Direct Injection for quite a while.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts