Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello people; 13V about 30000 miles. That funny noise that seems to come up when is colder is bothering me. I forget what has been said about it but is there a fix? It sounds like grinding and it's been there of and on since I got the V at about 7000 miles.
IBBY

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Have you checked the basics like oil level? Can you describe what type of noise is it? When you start the vehicle is the defroster on for the front windshield? If you are hearing the noise & then shut off the engine then remove the drive belt then start it again & then hear if the noise is still there. Let me know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's called the VTC rattle and Honda has been aware of the problem for years and has done nothing to fix it, we had the problem in two of our Honda vehicles, the latest was in our 2014 CR-V, traded it in, I just got tired of the problems with Honda's after owning several of their vehicles. Very disappointed in my experience with the brand.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello; That sounds like the noise but I've never heard it outside the V. That's about where it is right after you start it.
Is there a fix? Was there a recall or something the factory should fix?
IBBY

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello; It does not happen all the time. It has not been there all summer, spring, early fall. When it's colder like it the overnight higher 30 degrees and colder it happens.
IBBY

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took my crv in to a dealer today . He opened a work order . Told me a cvt fix is coming out in December . He will call me when the parts are in .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello; Is that going to be a recall? Where are you from? I'm in Mass. and bought my 13 used and I have not been to a dealer for nothing except for filters.
IBBY

·
Registered
20 Posts
I`m in Toronto . I don`t know if it`s a recall . But he told me right now the cvt fix is the current technical bulletin . There is a new bulletin and parts coming in December .

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in Toronto as well and just had my 2012 in Nov. 20 with the noise - dealer replaced VTC Actuator and ddid software update relating to start-up sequence. You can see the bulletin in the RECALLS & TSB section it is 11-409, though the bulletin only mentions 2010 CRV's they appear to have applied it to mine.
Issue gone so time will tell.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I'm in Toronto as well and just had my 2012 in Nov. 20 with the noise - dealer replaced VTC Actuator and ddid software update relating to start-up sequence. You can see the bulletin in the RECALLS & TSB section it is 11-409, though the bulletin only mentions 2010 CRV's they appear to have applied it to mine.
Issue gone so time will tell.

Thanks for the update! This will help a lot of owner's who has the same problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello people; 13V about 30000 miles. That funny noise that seems to come up when is colder is bothering me. I forget what has been said about it but is there a fix? It sounds like grinding and it's been there of and on since I got the V at about 7000 miles.
IBBY

Hi guys, coincidentally, I started having this exact problem about 3 to 4 weeks now I have a 2008 CRV and owned a Civic for 12 years previous to the CRV but never ever had such issues.

The noise is ONLY in the mornings when I start and it is not every morning. I left it at the garage yesterday and just got it back from the garage today after having left it overnight and, after the problem presenting itself on 3 mornings in the past week, this morning she started perfectly...so they are unable to diagnose what the exact cause is. I am in Jamaica so I do not have winter cold issues here. I was told, on the return of the vehicle, that I should turn off the a/c when starting and if the noise occurs then it is definitely the starter. The other possible diagnosis may lie in the clutch of the air conditioning unit. I need the use of my car but as the problem is intermittent, I am extremely uncomfortable with the current situation. I am at my wits end with this vehicle....otherwise, she drives beautifully.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts