Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So I made a horrible rookie mistake. I was changing the oil on a 2014 CR-V with 40K, and got distracted during the process. Long story short, I drained the oil and put in a new oil filter but forgot to put the new oil in. I started the car and it idled for about 40-50 seconds, before i realized and ran to shut off the car. I added oil and started the engine and thought the engine sounded louder as it was ticking.

I watched tons of other CR-V idling videos and I guess they all sound like that normally.

I am super paranoid right now, do you guys think I am okay?

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its hard to say. I once worked on a Subaru that had a check engine on because the quick oil change place forgot to add oil. She drove the thing around town for a whole week before I looked at it.
Then there are cars that dies after 10 mins because of lack of oil.
So, hard to say.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
While not a good thing to do, it was less than a min. under no load, your most likely ok....Since there is nothing you can do about it anyways, I would suggest that you pour yourself a drink slap your forehead and forget about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While not a good thing to do, it was less than a min. under no load, your most likely ok....Since there is nothing you can do about it anyways, I would suggest that you pour yourself a drink slap your forehead and forget about it.
Okay, yeah... nothing I can do about it now. So I am just going to just wait and hope for the best. From what I can tell, the engine sounds the same.. just hoping the bearings, and piston rings are okay.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You're going to be just fine. You didn't run it long enough to cause any damage. Next time just be very mindful of what you're doing because you got very lucky this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're going to be just fine. You didn't run it long enough to cause any damage. Next time just be very mindful of what you're doing because you got very lucky this time.
Hey Coastie05, Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity as you are a very active member of the forum, what are the factors that makes you say I will be fine? because it was under 1 minute? Thanks !

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Hey Coastie05, Thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity as you are a very active member of the forum, what are the factors that makes you say I will be fine? because it was under 1 minute? Thanks !
I'm a mechanic for a living in the USCG. I specialize in diesel engines bigger than the CRV. I'm also a nationally certified HVAC tech. However, my new unit that I report to on Monday I will be in charge of the Engineering Department and part of the Command Cadre. I'll be working on Honda 150 outboard engines. I don't know everything but I know enough to say not to worry about it. You ran it for less than a minute, so it didn't get hot enough to cause damage. You then put oil in it and it's running fine and sounds fine, so I say you should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a mechanic for a living in the USCG. I specialize in diesel engines bigger than the CRV. I'm also a nationally certified HVAC tech. However, my new unit that I report to on Monday I will be in charge of the Engineering Department and part of the Command Cadre. I'll be working on Honda 150 outboard engines. I don't know everything but I know enough to say not to worry about it. You ran it for less than a minute, so it didn't get hot enough to cause damage. You then put oil in it and it's running fine and sounds fine, so I say you should be fine.
Hi Coastie, I appreciate your words and response. it will def. help my conscious that is eating me up at night.

·
Registered
810 Posts
All modern oils contain zinc as an additive. Zinc forms a protective layer on moving parts that protects against metal-to-metal contact in situations where there is no oil flow or oil pressure, like a cold-weather start. This protection has limitations but I bet it worked in your case and no lasting damage occurred.

This will likely never happen to you again, but it's a good reminder to watch the oil pressure light like a hawk after an oil change. If it stays on for more than a few seconds, something's not right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts