Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

my 2007 CRV has started acting up, when i go to start the car everything seems to work fine dash lights come on, key turns no problem but every so often the car will act like its dead when the key is turned to the start postion however if you hold the key in the start position it will eventually crank sometime up to a 10 sec delay. Nothing else needs to happen for it to start itself afterwards. The battery, starter, ignition switch are all new.

Basically it goes like this:
Get in, put key in ignition
turn key to ACC, dash light come on and radio comes on as usual
turn key to on still everything works as it should
turn key to start, Dead does not crank,
keep holding key to start postion and sometime eventually start sometime can take up to 5 secs for start to come on

Any ideas about this one. I tried messing with the gear shift thinking that it may be a neutral safety switch but moving it around the gears did nothing as it did it today with out touching anything taking about 3 secs to start cranking.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,703 Posts
Yes, check the battery connection and/or clean the battery posts and cable terminals
Follow negative cable to chassis ground and clean contact points
Inspect the ignition wire going to starter solenoid for corrosion
Inspect the battery cable to starter for corrosion
Clean as necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

my 2007 CRV has started acting up, when i go to start the car everything seems to work fine dash lights come on, key turns no problem but every so often the car will act like its dead when the key is turned to the start postion however if you hold the key in the start position it will eventually crank sometime up to a 10 sec delay. Nothing else needs to happen for it to start itself afterwards. The battery, starter, ignition switch are all new.

Basically it goes like this:
Get in, put key in ignition
turn key to ACC, dash light come on and radio comes on as usual
turn key to on still everything works as it should
turn key to start, Dead does not crank,
keep holding key to start postion and sometime eventually start sometime can take up to 5 secs for start to come on

Any ideas about this one. I tried messing with the gear shift thinking that it may be a neutral safety switch but moving it around the gears did nothing as it did it today with out touching anything taking about 3 secs to start cranking.
I have the same problem, did you get to the bottom of this? Mine takes a minute or two

·
Registered
147 Posts
First I would check if the battery was good and the terminals/connections are wire brush clean, tight and making a good connection.
I have seen bad body/chassis grounds that tested good with a multimeter, but failed to make a good connection so I always take them off, clean and reinstall.

As you can see in the drawing, the components related to the start system.
The delayed start is typically a faulty starter motor or a failing relay.

Once I clean/verify all connections, I use test relays in troubleshooting as it eliminates other components in the system.
A test relay here would eliminate the relay itself and transmission range switch.

If it started with a delay still, then you are looking at the switch, starter motor or wiring as a probable cause.
If it started right up, then you are looking at the relay, transmission range switch or wiring.

Trouble shooting is a process of elimination and narrowing down the probable cause/s until you find a solution.
Many do not want to put the time involved into troubleshooting, so their options are to take it to a shop and pay for them to do it or hit it with the parts cannon.
It's your time; money and vehicle. Choose what works best for you and your situation.

Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
32 Posts
As you can see in the drawing, the components related to the start system.
The delayed start is typically a faulty starter motor or a failing relay.

Once I clean/verify all connections, I use test relays in troubleshooting as it eliminates other components in the system.
A test relay here would eliminate the relay itself and transmission range switch.
Good advice.
I would guess a failing cut relay or, as in my case, a failed month old starter.

I see the OP was three months ago, would be nice to know the outcome?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts