Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have a 2012 CR-V. about 100,000 miles.

When I turn the car over, it starts right up, but their is a short grinding noise AFTER the car starts.

I believe it's the starter.

My first car was a '78 Plymouth Volare. Replaced the starter myself, but cars were far simpler back then.

Is this something that an average Joe could do themselves? I'm not a rich man. Barely keeping afloat finanically.

There's a local Wreck-it shop that has a used starter (52,000 miles) for $75 available. That would save me $225 (autozone lists new starters for $300).

What am I in for? is this something that I could tackle do you think? or take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not the starter. There’s a thread about it and I had it fixed under warranty on my ‘12 CR-V but I can’t remember what it’s called. Apparently there is no damage being done, the noise is just annoying. Usually happens when you start it after it’s been sitting for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I did a quick search and found several TSBs talking about a rattle for a couple of seconds after a cold start up.

The fix is to replace the VTC actuator.

So off to the Honda Dealer for the fix.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I did a quick search and found several TSBs talking about a rattle for a couple of seconds after a cold start up.

The fix is to replace the VTC actuator.

So off to the Honda Dealer for the fix.
Yes that’s what it is, VTC actuator. It’s sometimes a temporary fix as the noise sometimes comes back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I've read this is a design flaw. And I've heard one comment that it's harmless (won't damage the vehicle). I've heard the opposite, that without the oil due to this issue, the chain knocking can ultimately cause catostrophic engine issues.

My CR-V, bought used about two years ago, is now over 100,000mi. While this is a drive train issue, it is my understanding the car powertrain is now out of warranty, though the mfg knew of the design flaw and issue but did not issue a safety recall.

I think I'll stop over at the Honda dealer. I don't want to assume they won't do anything about it free of charge given the manufacturer seems culpable.

But reading enough online, there are many cases of Honda even denying there was an issue with the VTC Actuator, so my confidence is low that they have any ethics about this issue to help customers who have vehicles with their design flaw.

I hate going to the dealer. It's like going into the Den of Thieves. I've not met a dealer service center yet that seems ethical and customer service oriented.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
...the mfg knew of the design flaw and issue but did not issue a safety recall.
Since it's not a safety issue there would not have been a recall to fix it. It won't cause you to lose control or crash, or to cause the seat belts or airbags to not work during a crash.

There were Technical Service Bulletins issued, which are used for issues that are not related to the safety of you and your passengers.

Before you take it to the dealer print out copies of the latest TSB on the issue. Print at least two copies. Give one to the service writer and make sure they understand that you've kept a copy of the TSB for your records.

·
Registered
475 Posts
And take a video of the grinding noise when you start up your CR-V. Sometimes the dealer won’t do anything unless it happens for them and will have to have your vehicle overnight. I took a video and that satisfied them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Took a video this AM. Been in touch with local Honda Service Center for my area. Gave me all the disclaimers about how the power train is out of warranty, that he will "go to bat" for me with Honda Customer Service. Said it will be $140 an hour to assess (they won't take the video as proof of the issue), paid out of my pocket.

I explained that Honda issued a TSB on this issue and known design defect, and that had they notified EVERY customer with the car about the issue, that I for sure would have brought it in for repair UNDER WARRANTY.

He basically said I'll have to pay out of pocket.

I told him I needed to have it repaired as it is my primary vehicle and that I cannot afford to have it blow the engine one day.

I also let him know I fully intend to take Honda to my local small claims court (literally one mile down the road from where I live) if Honda doesn't make this right. Maybe I'll lose. But in that case, at least I'll be happy in knowing it cost Honda several hundreds if not thousands in legal fees.

Their call. They can make it right and keep me a Honda customer. Or, they through their negligence (both in design and in lack of notification to customers to proactively have the issue remediated under warranty), will lose me as a Honda customer. While I'm not hugely influential, I will do my part, should they fail to "make it right" to tell everyone I know NOT to buy Honda.

These companies just kill me. Why aren't their laws requiring them to MAIL customers and communicate KNOWN design issues that could lead to harm of a customer's investment so that resolution can be made under warranty?

I don't know about you, but I don't think it's right that they don't have to fix this at their cost. I didn't design the flaw into the car. It was not through MY neglect in design, or failure to communicate to the customer prior to warranty expiration.

I'm at 102,100 as of this morning. This really sucks. $1,000+ plus out of pocket for this repair is a ton of money I don't have to fix an issue they knew about. But then again, I can't risk the engine blowing as this is my only means of getting to work. I just got this car used just under two years ago.

Sorry for venting. I thought Honda was a better company than Ford/GM/Chrysler.

(My wife purchased a brnad new 2005 Chrysler Sebring. Should have known it was a piece of junk in that it ONLY had a 36,000 power train warranty. At 36,071, literally, the engine's transmission blew. Chrysler would not make it right. Put the car in the junk yard and got a Toyoda Camry (2007). We have over 200,000 miles on it. Had to replace the water pump last fall. That's it. Been a rock solid vehicle.

I used to believe Honda was a quality car company...let's see what they do. But if the Service guy is any indicator, I'll be paying out of pocket and then doing everything I can to fight them in court.

And take a video of the grinding noise when you start up your CR-V. Sometimes the dealer won’t do anything unless it happens for them and will have to have your vehicle overnight. I took a video and that satisfied them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts