Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my '08 CR-V starter is going bad. It has 136K miles and on the original starter. When the engine has cooled down or in the morning, it starts just fine, but as the engine gets hot after driving, the starter would not crank or sometime very weak, like the battery is out of juice.
I have performed battery (batt is less than 6 mos old) and alternator load test with the 100A tester and everything tested fine. Is this a bad starter or solenoid? Is this an easy job to replace starter as a DIY?
I think the starter started to go bad when the condenser fan died for who knows how long, until one day I found out why the AC is not blowing cold air while on a rest stop. I have since replaced the fan myself. Not sure if this could have overheated the starter and damaged it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I doubt the condenser fan caused it--the fan doesn't run all the time anyway. But at this age and the mileage on your '08, it's probably time the starter needs to be replaced. I had to replace starters on both of our '09s within a couple of months of each other earlier this year--one during a very cold stretch in February (which I had the dealer replace), the other in April before a road trip. First one just died, although it gave us signs by not cranking occasionally. The other one was just draggy and didn't crank all that fast.

The job is not too difficult but the working area can be cramped. Some here have recommended removing the intake manifold. I did it all from below. (The factory service manual says nothing about removing the intake, so I'm thinking the "official" way is to do it from below.) The starter is held on with two bolts, one of them being behind the starter, and that will be the tricky one. The bolt behind is an extended length, so it is not too terribly hard to reach. The starter is also a little difficult to take out once the bolts are off (especially if the wiring is still attached--I'm pretty sure I left the wiring attached, but can't remember exactly), and watch out for what looks like a sensor that is mounted nearby--that is not something that looks easy to replace. The rear bolt isn't too hard to reinstall--just note the angle of the mounting holes in relation to how it mounts and it should be easy to locate. (The starter fits into a small recess in the block.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the dealer charge you to replace the starter?
For your second CR-V where did you buy the starter from and how much?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The dealer was close to $800 for the job. I got the Denso for the other '09 from Rock Auto, $140 plus $136 core charge (refundable when you send the core back).

·
Registered
41 Posts
The dealer was close to $800 for the job. I got the Denso for the other '09 from Rock Auto, $140 plus $136 core charge (refundable when you send the core back).
How did the $800 break down between labor and parts? Does it make sense to order the starter on your own and then take it to a mechanic/dealer, as opposed to having them do the ordering?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I don't recall, but seeing that it was the dealer, the starter was probably a good portion of that. It was a "Honda remanufactured" starter so, not at expensive as a new one, but still not inexpensive. I believe many mechanics charge full retail for parts. If you can find a mechanic that will accept using customer-provided parts, you could probably save money. (With non-Honda mechanics, too, you have no idea the quality of part they are providing.)

On my engine, I had read (and the service manager mentioned) that they usually remove the intake to replace it from above. When I did my own, I replaced it from below and only had to loosen one bracket--it was tight space and a little frustrating, but it can be done. The service manual also made no mention of removing the intake, so who knows what the "correct" way may be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts