Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 CRV, 200,000 miles.
Has had irregular starting issues that have worsened over the last couple months. Engine turns over, no clicking noises, but won’t start. Usually starts on the second or third go. But the other week it wouldn’t at all so even though the battery was reading @ OK, I replaced the battery (it was under warranty anyway.) still couldn’t get the car to start, so jumped/nudged it a bit and got it to run.

it’s been doing OK but still sometimes won’t start, although again the engine turns over.
A mechanic over the phone thought it maybe could be the cable from the solenoid to the starter has disintegrated? Any thoughts on this? I’ve read a lot of the discussions on starter problems here but haven’t seen any discussion where the car owners engine would turn over.
car lives in climate that gets snow

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum, einhornjohnson!

Lots of knowledgeable folks here, I'm sure you will get some help soon!

Reactions: einhornjohnson

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,741 Posts
If the engine turns over the solenoid is probably OK. The starter would not engage the flywheel if the solenoid was bad. If the starter turns without turning the engine it could be the solenoid.
Usually if it turns over but won't start it's either a fuel or an ignition issue, from what you describe probably fuel. Checked any filters?

Reactions: Lochinvar

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,497 Posts
Just need a little more detail would be better.
When no start, does it crank every time? (possible crank sensor)
Or does it not crank when it is a no start? (possible starter or relay)
The answer determines which circuit needs to be looked at.
If you were on the phone with a mechanic and he said it could the starter
Do you believe he was right?

When I look on line for your starter, I do not see an external solenoid.
In other words, there is no cable from solenoid to starter motor.
But, it still may be the starter. But hard to tell with so little information
And made more difficult when it is intermittent.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
there is no cable from solenoid to starter motor.
The solenoid is usually an external part of the starter assembly. There's typically a 2-3 inch wire connecting the solenoid to the motor on the outside of the starter assembly. I haven't seen that wire degrade, but I have seen the solenoid go bad on aftermarket starters. Duralast, and unfortunately aftermarket Denso starters as well, use Mitsubishi solenoids, and those always go bad. They connect to the flywheel, but fail to connect the battery to the motor. That is part of the solenoid's job as it doubles as the starter relay.

If the times the car doesn't start, you hear a single click/clunk and the engine doesn't crank, the starter solenoid will be the problem. Usually, the solenoid is not available for separate purchase because it's impractical to replace the solenoid unless you're going to rebuild the starter assembly.

If the times the car doesn't start, it does crank, the starting system is not a problem, and you should check fuel and ignition, like beww said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the help!

The car isn’t cranking well enough, you know? It’ll crank but won’t start all the time. it just doesn’t have enough pep to the crank. It’s weak.

the mechanic quoted 475 for a new starter, a rebuilt one from the manufacturer which comes with a warranty.They won’t put in a cheaper rebuilt starter that I personally buy so I am going to get quotes from some backyard mechanics or consider putting one in myself. (Which I’ve never done but money is a good motivator and I’d like to be able to get the experience under my belt and learn more about fixing problems myself)
The mechanic is deducing it’s the starter, he didn’t actually take out the manifold to check it though, i think he just troubleshooted that it wasn’t the relay switch & is assuming it’s either the cable between starter and solenoid or the starter itself—but either way he would just end up replacing both in a case like this.

I am hesitant solely because I took my 1990 Ford eco van to these guys once because it struggled up any incline & they charged me $800 to try and fix it and it ended up not helping at all. Took it to another mechanic while visiting down south & they immediately knew it needed a new catalytic converter which ended up solving the problem ten fold. I don’t think the mechanic who charged me 800 was trying to fool me or anything, I just question their thought process when diagnosing issues.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,497 Posts

The solenoid is usually an external part of the starter assembly.
From the pictures at Autozone website,
this starter recommended by Autozone for 2005 Crv has no external solenoid.
What there usually is, it is not here.
We are not going with generally or usually but with specific parts.
Also, if you tried to install a starter with an external solenoid on this CRV
then it would be next to impossible due to the lack of space.

the mechanic quoted 475 for a new starter, a rebuilt one from the manufacturer which comes with a warranty.They won’t put in a cheaper rebuilt starter that I personally buy so I am going to get quotes from some backyard mechanics or consider putting one in myself.
There are a couple of ways to replace a starter on the CRV.
One is (from above) and requires quite a bit of work.
They probably used that method to calculate the hours and so the cost of replacement
The second method (from below) is less time but requires a little fore knowledge of
the steps required to replace the starter. And is a little awkward. It is not easily visible.
Check youtube videos.

Before replacing the starter, check the voltage of the battery before cranking
Check voltage during cranking. It should not drop below 9 volts.
Some mechanics say 10 volts is the lower limit. Honda says 8.5 volts.
Reason is that the starter uses lots of power but there must be still enough to run ECM.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
This is the starter HPC has for that car. The smaller cylinder on the side is the solenoid. The larger cylinder houses the armature, gear reduction and clutch.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,497 Posts
Looking at that part, it does not look like there is room for
that little bit of wire from the starter solenoid to the starter motor
At least not on the outside between the two, solenoid and starter motor

Comment: Over $800 dollars for a 2005 CRV?
Is that like close to a fourth the value of the whole vehicle??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts