Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 cr v has a strange starting issue. During the summer months, with the warmer weather, all is fine. Now that it is starting to get colder, ( I'm in Michigan) the starter seems to have a flat spot. I hit the key and there's nothing. Hit it again and it's fine. Replaced the starter last spring. This only happens when it gets colder! Any ideas? Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Where did you get the starter from? If it was not a good remanufactured starter, it could be going bad again. It is entirely possible the replacement starter has an issue.

What you describe is exactly how the starter in our blue '09 acted prior to the starter dying this past February (when we had that windy cold spell with temps in the single digits--it died right across the street from the dealer). Prior to dying, months earlier, it would maybe crank once and then stop cranking, or it would not crank at all. I had to have the dealer do this starter, given the weather. But at least we have a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty for the rebuilt Honda starter the dealer used.

I proactively replaced the starter in the other '09 in April before the first of a few road trips, as it seemed as though it was straining while starting (which it was--the Denso starter I replaced it with spins much better). I did this one myself, getting a reman from Rock Auto.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
It was replaced by a reputable shop, but, that doesn't mean the starter isn't flawed.
Indeed. And even a really good rebuilder/remanufacturer can let a bad unit slip by every so often. Having the Honda dealer do it might be expensive--ours was pricey even with the discount the service manager usually gives me.

The only other thing I can think of is to order something like the Denso starter from Rock Auto and take it with you to the shop who originally replaced it. That starter would then need to be shipped back to Rock Auto to get your core deposit back. This might be too much of a bother, though. A local auto parts store might also have a known brand like the Denso, but it will cost more.

I have changed one of these starters. Let's just say I hope I don't have to do it again any time soon. ?

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
I am not sure if modern cars are just that much harder on batteries or if battery quality has been on the decline- probably both. Previously I would easily go 3-4 years even on a factory battery- now I cant get one to last more than 18 months it seems. In the last 5 years I have needed to replace 2 DieHard batteries that only lasted 1 year - they were swapped out for free but I found this very strange as we were not doing anything abnormal (no repeated short trips or leaving headlights/dome lights on) which I felt would reduce battery life.

Long story short worth checking or even borrowing a charger from a friend and topping it off to see if that alters behavior

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I found in my '09 that a low battery just made it crank slowly, or not at all. The starter was struggling somewhat since I bought it in late 2016. When we lost the starter on the other '09, I noticed it cranked a little faster than the old one. I decided to get a new one in my '09 and it cranked a lot faster. Yet in July, the battery finally gave out, and I got one from the Honda dealer--they have a 3 year full warranty, with an additional 5 years pro-rated, good at any Honda dealer in the country. And it did not cost any different from other name brand batteries around me. Now it cranks as well as the other '09.

I kind of wish I would have changed the battery tray to install the larger battery from the Accord (or another suitable battery--I think a group 24 or group 35 battery has been discussed in this forum at some point), but I didn't want to mess with it. With newer cars drawing so much more from batteries, these smaller batteries seem to struggle with their lifespan. It would almost be a cool idea to 3D print a new custom battery tray to mount a larger battery...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.