Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CRV with 52,000 miles. I had to replace the battery about 4 months ago which is rather soon, but seems to be a common problem due to undersized batteries, but just yesterday had to replace the starter, which is very troubling. I love my CRV, but am worried about having these type of issues so soon. Anyone else have issues with starter so soon? Should I worry that this is just the beginning of more issues? I live in the south so no extreme cold temps and it is garage kept. Busy working mom with no time for car troubles.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
sounds more like just a case of bad luck. One starter will last 20yrs, 300kmiles and the next wont even make it to 100k. Just happens. Surprised you didnt take it to Honda as 52k is a bit soon for a starter. but not something to be alarmed about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a 2015 CRV with 52,000 miles. I had to replace the battery about 4 months ago which is rather soon, but seems to be a common problem due to undersized batteries, but just yesterday had to replace the starter, which is very troubling. I love my CRV, but am worried about having these type of issues so soon. Anyone else have issues with starter so soon? Should I worry that this is just the beginning of more issues? I live in the south so no extreme cold temps and it is garage kept. Busy working mom with no time for car troubles.
It's hard to say without knowing what led to starter replacement.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Had to replace ours at 104k. 52k is a little low but they break every once in awhile. Lot has to do with your driving pattern. Do you do a lot of short runs? Every time you start the car you're one start closer to failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My driving is mostly short runs around town, which is not a new pattern for my driving. I have never had to replace a starter in my prior vehicles, although this is my first vehicle with a push button start. I did have it tested and replaced by local Honda service and they said it just happens sometimes. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This isn't bad luck. This is a common problem with this gen CRV- google will confirm. The bad news is that many times changing the starter doesn't even resolve the issue long-term and it's difficult to diagnose and resolve. Honda really should be doing a recall on the push button start functionality of this vehicle. Please update with how yours went. I'm having my starter replaced right now on my 2015. Our vehicle has been refusing to start intermittently for months now. It will go days with no issue then will take 2-50 attempts before it starts for several days. Vehicle only has about 70k mi.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When the push button is not starting the engine ...change the battery in the key fob. I put a new battery in mine and a week or two later I was having this problem. Just to check and double check ,I got another new battery installed it in the fob and it solved the intermittent starting problem. I keep spare battery's in my glove box now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When the push button is not starting the engine ...change the battery in the key fob. I put a new battery in mine and a week or two later I was having this problem. Just to check and double check ,I got another new battery installed it in the fob and it solved the intermittent starting problem. I keep spare battery's in my glove box now.
Its not the fob. Happens with 2 different sets of keys and the starter solenoid is burned out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Usually that is from over cranking, low voltage or a bad battery connection or cable connection to ground. Chances are it is a weak/ defective battery. The battery needs to be load tested and checked with a hydrometer...it does not matter if the battery is only a month old...new battery's can be bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts