Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the status of the Honda trailer hitch is? We purchased it with '17 touring crv but haven't yet been able to get it installed due to recall/cessation of install.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does anyone know what the status of the Honda trailer hitch is? We purchased it with '17 touring crv but haven't yet been able to get it installed due to recall/cessation of install.
I had my OEM installed when I purchased. Have they said why they have seized the installation of new ones? I've used mine on a short tow without any issues, but am a little concerned there may be a safety issue not being told.
I will mention that when the dealer installed mine, they said it was the most complicated and time consuming OEM trailer install they have ever done. Maybe the labor hours cost more then Honda HQ will allow them to charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have put on my share of hitches on vehicles in my life. I read over the twenty six (or whatever) pages of instructions for this hitch and told myself no way in hell would I do it. My 2012 wasn't too bad but this thing was the hitch from hell due to the way you had to pull off the bumper system and replace the center section.

That said there are some FVMSS's or crash test rules that a car has to pass. I recall some issues back in 2001 with some hitches on Nissan Xterras that would cause the frame to be bent in a minor rear ender. I have to wonder if Honda ran into some issues with structure during impacts or something. I have no idea and was just wondering myself as this is something that I have seen in the past.

Your guess is as good as mine and I have no clue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts