Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MACPEK Steel Wheel 5-114.3 40/71.5

i can see that the offset is 40 which is 45 in oem wheels
i wonder if this will work good or should i get a different one with the same offset as oem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to be in the market for a winter setup as well....looking at tirerack the cheapest alloys were only $20 more than the steelies. By the time you buy a set of wheel covers for the steelies - it's a wash..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why a second set of wheels for the winter? Unless your going to go with FULL Winter specific tires and then you can just have them changed out on the factory wheels, it's not really worth getting a second set of wheels.
As well, the factory All-Season tires do a pretty good job unless your going to get into some really severe weather and then it's a question of do you really need to be on the road or can you wait till the roads are plowed.

Just some things to ponder before spending money on something you might not really need.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why a second set of wheels for the winter? Unless your going to go with FULL Winter specific tires and then you can just have them changed out on the factory wheels, it's not really worth getting a second set of wheels.
As well, the factory All-Season tires do a pretty good job unless your going to get into some really severe weather and then it's a question of do you really need to be on the road or can you wait till the roads are plowed.

Just some things to ponder before spending money on something you might not really need.
Winter tires are softer in cold temps and have been proven to be safer than all seasons in temps below 45 degrees since they grip better. Also it's more cost effective to bump down a size 18 to 17 and run dedicated winter tires/wheels in the winters. At least for me!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
True winter tires are likely worth it if you live in areas of heavy snow. While "All Season" tires are better than average street tires true winter tires are a step up. If I lived in the "Great White North" I would likely buy winter tires. I would not be changing those tires on my rims ever year. Its hard on the beads of the tires and you can get some rim coating damage by a careless tech or faulty equipment. If you plan on keeping the car just buy an extra set of rims to put the winter tires on. As for alloy vrs. steel...its your money. Alloy wheels have some advantages and often won't cost much more. Its your money and your call.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
steel wheels on honda cost around $550 for a set.
then i just opted with fast wheels samba which is $620 on a set
then bridge stone blizzak ws80 as tires.
which cost me $1,600 plus taxes for everything.

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part

planning to plasti dip it in black before the winter comes in ;p

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been using winter tires for over 30 years now. All season tires are not an option where I live. The winter wheel/tire package is my preferred method. I have bought most of my winter sets through Tire Rack. Delivery to my front door is very nice. Takes me 20 minutes to swap to the winter setup in my garage including torquing the lug nuts to factory specs.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Audi Q5 we traded has same tires size. The winter set is 17". We lived in west MI but moved back to southern Iowa. But unless you've had winter tires you shouldnt comment that they aren't worth it. below 35f they are better in all conditions. Even a cool wet 45f parent they are noticeably better. I have Only 2 seasons on them. Will probably get some cheap alloy rims for them and see if the local shop will swap them over.

Same on my tires from my BMW 325i. Slightly smaller diameter but close enough only 1mph difference. Will just get cheap steel wheels for that car.

I won't list all the benefits. But it's worth considering especially since you extend tire like of your all season or summer tires anyway. In most cases the wheel swap
Lines up nice with a tire rotation anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts