Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 05 with about 130K on it. The steering wheel has recently begun to wobble at low speeds around 20MPH and then goes away as speed increases. More seriously though is the car's pulling on acceleration. When driving in the Arkansas mountains around the bends at reasonable speeds, the car pulls and feels at the edge of out of control ever slightly but definite... and it seems to be on acceleration. It's as if the car is turning more than I am telling it to... at one point I thought it might roll. In the city on aggressive acceleration while turning from a stop.. as in pulling out of a driveway into traffic, it's yanks the steering wheel nearly out of my hand.

We have checked all tires and in fact rotated, balanced and aligned and checked for busted belts or separation. All good.
Our trusted repair shop and our front end mechanics found no worn from end parts.
Power steering is good. no pump noise.

We believe the problem is the rack and pinion. We'll replace it this week even though it's expensive. But the car feels very unsafe.

It's a city car that's been treated well. Any others have experience with this problem? I'd sure love to hear!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 96 Prelude that had a slight pull that I thought just needed an alignment. This was before I had 10,000 miles on the car. I had the alignment checked and they said it was okay and within spec. I continued to drive it and still noticed it would pull to one side. Another dealership checked the service bulletins and found one to replace the spool valve inside the steering mechanism. They changed the part and it has been fine since. Yours sounds dangerous to drive the way it is. Does the steering feel smooth from lock to lock when you turn it while sitting still? Did this happen all at once or has it progressively been getting worse? Is everything on the back end of the car okay? No worn bushings in the rear suspension?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 96 Prelude that had a slight pull that I thought just needed an alignment. This was before I had 10,000 miles on the car. I had the alignment checked and they said it was okay and within spec. I continued to drive it and still noticed it would pull to one side. Another dealership checked the service bulletins and found one to replace the spool valve inside the steering mechanism. They changed the part and it has been fine since. Yours sounds dangerous to drive the way it is. Does the steering feel smooth from lock to lock when you turn it while sitting still? Did this happen all at once or has it progressively been getting worse? Is everything on the back end of the car okay? No worn bushings in the rear suspension?
Thank you McReviver for the quick response. I don't know if the steering is smooth when I'm stopped - I'll check that. I'll also ask our mechanic to check the back end. It feels like it's steering. It happened gradually over 6 months and in recent 2 weeks has gotten worse. Our mechanic has it now and we're not driving it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The wobble sounds as if there is a torn control arm bushing or wrecked tie rod ends. I would suggest adjusting the steering rack. But I don’t think it would help if it is as severe as you describe.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,409 Posts
The control arm bushing that BDub talks about is the horizontal one on the lower control arm. These have been known to fail on both CR-Vs and Elements.

That said I would think that the 20MPH wobble is a tire issue (or bent rim).

Regards the handling issue, have the REAR bushings checked. A bad one could be causing the back end to 'steer the car'. :eek:

I'm feeling that there is more than one issue at work, here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts