Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've been dealing with this problem for quite some time and no one can seem to figure out the solution.

Basically my problem is,..... As I'm driving down the road, the last direction the wheel was turned is the direction the car begins to pull as if it's out of alignment.
In other words, if I make a right turn,..... after the steering wheel self centers, the car wants to pull to the right. Then,..... if I make a left turn and continue down the road, the car pulls to the left.

So here's some background and what has been done so far.

A few years back, I had an independent shop replace my front struts and mounts with KYB's. This is where the problem started. I brought it back to them a bunch of times, complaining about the pulling. Long story short, they went out of business.
I lived with this annoyance for a while then decided to bring it to the Honda dealer and have them replace the KYB's with genuine Honda struts and mounts. Same outcome. They said it needed to be aligned. After the alignment it was better for just a short time (pulled only a little, but still pulled), but quickly went to the usual pulling. (I've since had the car aligned a hundred times).

The dealer checked everything and amazingly enough, they said it needed nothing! Axles were fine, steering rack was solid and tight. struts were good, engine mounts were fine, torque strut mounts were also in good condition.
None of the technicians at the dealership can explain why the car pulls like it does and they have no further action to take.

This has been the most frustrating thing. I literally have to hold the steering wheel cocked to one side or the other (depending on which direction the last turn was) just to go down the road straight.

If anyone has ANY insight, I would be forever grateful!

John DP

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Any grinding sound? Is the power steering fluid level good? Condition? Clunking noise when you hit a bump? Did they do a 4 wheel alignment? Was a ball joint been replaced? From what you mentioned from your symptoms there's something binding in the front suspension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any grinding sound? Is the power steering fluid level good? Condition? Clunking noise when you hit a bump? Did they do a 4 wheel alignment? Was a ball joint been replaced? From what you mentioned from your symptoms there's something binding in the front suspension.
No, no grinding at all. Power steering unit replaced about a month ago. New fluid, level full. No clunking noises either. 4 wheel alignment done a hundred times, lol. Ball joints were NOT replaced, however, Honda dealer stated the ball joints, tie rods, struts and steering rack were all in good condition.

This is so bizarre. No one has experienced this issue and no one can say why the car pulls like it does. Frustrated!!

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,073 Posts
Was the alignment two wheel or four?
Have you replaced the tires?
Does rotating make a difference?
Any work done before this started?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 wheel alignment done many times. (It's the first thing mechanics say will fix it, but it never does)
Tires are new (6 months old) and properly balanced.
Rotating never made a difference.

This problem originally started after an independent shop replaced my front struts and mounts. They went out of business shortly after that.
I obviously knew they screwed something up and had the Honda dealer replace the struts and mounts with genuine Honda struts and mounts.
No change. They cannot figure it out.

Whenever I bring the car back to them for repairs beyond my expertise, I ask them to check the pulling, and the first thing they say is,.... "it needs an alignment". Then I go on this big long explanation and tell them to have the technician test drive it again making left and right turns to see how the car pulls in both directions, and the answer ALWAYS is,............. We have no idea why the car does that!

I originally thought the strut mounts were binding somehow, but they've checked them and say they're fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the steering pump belt part of the whole belt or it's a single belt for only the steering pump? Try also load torque the engine.
Steering pump belt is part of the serpentine belt system. (Belt has also been recently changed)
Not sure what load torquing the engine will do.
The pulling happens as you drive down the road, whether you're coasting or accelerating. There is no difference.

John D.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts