Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, thx in advance. Canadian 09 AWD CRV EXL. Checked underneath and there is a very small leak, right in the steering rack.

It appears to be steering fluid but I can't tell. The source of the leak is in the picture, left side/back of rack.

What is this? It appears to be some sort of nut with a 1/2inch drive socket hole in the middle. Is there a gasket behind it? Can I try and tighten it?

In the picture you will see a line drawn on the nut, I wonder if that was a marker to where it is to be tighten down to? Any help is appreciated as I would like to fix this without replacing the whole rack!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Rim

·
Registered
2004 2.0 petrol AWD
101 Posts
I believe that is for the adjustment of the rack and pinion engagement.
Suggest you clean all the fluid off and keep an eye on it. Also check fluid level in the reservoir.
It might have taken years to get that mucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will do that. I didn't think about that. I'll clean it up and maintain an eye on the reservoir level, as suggested. ....I really wanna try tightening it but if it adjusts something, I'll watch it. Thx again.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I wouldn't suspect that of leaking, but anything is possible.

Fluids do like to travel, though--I would check everything above it to make certain a hose isn't leaking, for example. The best way is to spray down the entire area with brake cleaner, so you start with a clean surface. That will make detecting your leak so much easier.

Two things. 1) You don't want to replace a steering rack. 2) You don't want to pay to have your steering rack replaced. #1 is frustrating, but not impossible. #2 will have you eating packages of grocery store ramen noodles for three months. (Acura's steering rack for our TSX would have been $1,100, plus labor. I only paid $3,000 for the TSX!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks. I have brake cleaner and will be attempting cleaning it up today. Found a 2ton floor jack with stands for $99.99CAD. :)
I'll update. FYI I've shown pic to several people and no one knows what it is lol
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Rim

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
FYI I've shown pic to several people and no one knows what it is lol
Unfortunately, having replaced the rack in the TSX (which are known to have leaking issues), I know too well what that picture is. 😁

The rack in the TSX was leaking from one side but it didn't take long for it to apparently blow out the seals on both ends and left a nice long trail of power steering fluid from the street to my garage. It takes a bit of reaching to get to, but I think my biggest fears were 1) all the parts being oily and messy to work with (I wear gloves regardless), and 2) dealing with dropping the subframe, which turned out to be not such a big deal other than bolts that wouldn't have broken loose without my large 1/2" impact. I didn't have to drop it completely -- just loosen three of the bolts and remove the fourth so I could get the inch and a half of clearance to extract the rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to return my jack, don't buy a $99 jack set lol. Got under finally, it is definitely a slow leak. I'll keep an eye on it and I am going to attempt to slap some JB WELD on there. Hopefully it lasts because I am not competent enough to attempt a steering rack replacement!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts