Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the V into the dealer the other day to look at the fuel injection software version revision and in the multi-point inspection, it was noted that the steering rack is leaking into one of the boots. It wasnt an immediate need, but the dealer quoted me $1500 including the alignment. Now I am not going to be doing that, but wanted to know if anyone else has swapped a steering rack? It doesnt look hard and mine is 2wd, so no driveshaft to worry about working around. But for a reman rack costing about $250, plus about $80 or so for the alignment and $20 for fluid, Ill be way head on the cost.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,182 Posts
Our '99 Acura TL leaked PS fluid into the rack boot on one side. The dealer claimed they couldn't find reason that the PS fluid dropped, even though I had to top it up from the MIN level, almost every oil change.

Finally, (at about 140K miles) the boot burst. I just replaced it (because the steering worked fine otherwise) and didn't do anything else.

The routine additions of fluid continued, until a deer put the car out of its misery at ~ 185K miles.

+++++++++++

So basically what I'm saying is, you could live with the issue with minimal expense. Just keep an eye on the fluid and add as required. Change the boot if it leaks.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The routine additions of fluid continued, until a deer put the car out of its misery at ~ 185K miles.
What is it with the TL and untimely deaths? Ours drowned in a flood, and other than one of the evap sensors underneath, there was nothing wrong with it! (It's very similar to the '98-'02 Accord--they share many common chassis parts. Like the gas tank I have to replace, which involves dropping the rear sub-frame since the tank is strapped to the top of it...)

@fnjeep314 There seems to be room to work around the rack, so it shouldn't be too difficult of a job, I'm thinking. Do you have the service manual on hand?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@fnjeep314 There seems to be room to work around the rack, so it shouldn't be too difficult of a job, I'm thinking. Do you have the service manual on hand?
No I dont, but Ive been turning wrenches for decades, I bet I can figure it out without a manual.It does look like there is a bunch of stuff that could be in the way, but I should be able to work around. I know that I will need to drop the subframe some too to get the rack out on the drivers side.Its just going to be a "bigger" job than normal. Ive got plenty of fresh Honda PS fluid and a new res on hand for the swap. So should be good and clean for the new rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.