Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know if a dealer can adjust sensitivity of the steering wheel like some other SUVs in this class allow? Not looking into turning my CR-V into a BMW, but I'm a bit annoyed by the amount of rotation it requires.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Dealer I say . unless some one got the info to do so and the software

·
Registered
2007 CRV
760 Posts
Is this an electric power steering??

Inspect the tie rod ends and ball joints to check for loose or play
Then, also look at what is holding the rack and pinion.
Have seen tie rods good and ball joints good, only to have loose steering.
Due to the steering rack was not being held in place properly.

Anyway, I would call the dealership and ask if they can tighten up the steering

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
795 Posts
Do you know if a dealer can adjust sensitivity of the steering wheel like some other SUVs in this class allow? Not looking into turning my CR-V into a BMW, but I'm a bit annoyed by the amount of rotation it requires.
Mine turns exactly like it should (plenty responsive) for what it is. Sounds to me like you are trying to turn yours into a BMW. It's gonna take a heck of a lot more work beside tightening up the steering before you can call it a BMW.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not saying it's bad, but given the roads I have to drive daily I'd appreciate more response.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
Not saying it's bad, but given the roads I have to drive daily I'd appreciate more response.
Do you have a "Sport" mode? I've read that on some vehicles that tightens up the steering.
No idea if this is true for your car, which is... ???

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,922 Posts
Learn your vehicle and you will get comfortable with how it handles, especially driving the same roads every day.

Keep in mind... there is a lot that goes into the handling and maneuver besides just the steering. Steering, dynamic traction control, stability control, safety systems, suspension, wheels, AWD.... are all actively involved in the handling of your CRV. Mess with one and you likely impair one or more of the other systems... because they are all tightly coupled to one another both mechanically and electronically.

If yours is AWD, then don't mess with anything... because straight from the factory it is a well tuned maneuver machine.... particularly on turns and cornering. The gen5 CRV AWD is applying varying traction to each of the 4 wheels virtually any time you have applied ANY acceleration through the throttle.

A dealership is NOT going to make any adjustments to your steering beyond Honda specifications. They would however fix it is if is actually out of spec.

But I doubt you have any actual functional issue with your electronic power steering. Go drive another CRV on the dealer lot if you do not believe me.

A CRV is NOT a sports car... it is an urban utility vehicle designed so that anyone can drive it effectively and safely.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
Thinking about this, I don't think you are allowed to have "pure" power steering, only "power assist".
If that's so, it would imply a mechanical connection, probably a rack and pinion, and that ratio would be unchangeable short of replacing the rack.
There is also the electronic interface to the LKAS system, which probably expects a certain ratio.
Of course I could be wrong, maybe it is purely electric, but somehow I doubt it.
I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Didnt you test this during a test drive??

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In general I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that the same car can be sold with different "default" performance settings in different markets (hot / cold, hilly / flat, highways / tight curvy roads etc). Some makes allow dealers to change these settings (e.g. Kia) without affecting warranty.

By no means it's a deal breaker, but could somewhat improve ride's quality for me.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,767 Posts
Ride quality isnt dictated by steering.

Tyres and suspension set up are the biggest factors 👍

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Apart from the fascinating discussion on the ideal "sportiness" of the CR-V, the actual answer to your question is "no". The steering column is directly-coupled via a pinion to the steering rack; I suppose it's theoretically possible that the amount of electric boost could be adjusted, but that would only make it easier/harder to turn.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
you want more response from the steering wheel for the amount of input you give it?

There is no method of doing that.
also, I no

know of no car on the road that has adjustable steering as you seek.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
you want more response from the steering wheel for the amount of input you give it?

There is no method of doing that.
also, I no

know of no car on the road that has adjustable steering as you seek.
Some Lexus models have "VGRS, variable gear ratio steering". Ford has "Adaptive Steering" on the Edge.
Both are systems for varying the steering ratio.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Some Lexus models have "VGRS, variable gear ratio steering". Ford has "Adaptive Steering" on the Edge.
Both are systems for varying the steering ratio.
The Gen5 CR-V also has variable gear ratio steering, but it's a physical property of the rack (the tooth angle and spacing changes over the length of the rack) as opposed to a settable parameter. (Interestingly, the lower-end HR-V has a dual-pinion system that will change the ratio.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine turns exactly like it should (plenty responsive) for what it is. Sounds to me like you are trying to turn yours into a BMW. It's gonna take a heck of a lot more work beside tightening up the steering before you can call it a BMW.
I don't know. I drove nothing but BMW's for 20 years before getting my 18 Touring and I have to say I am very happy with how it handles and drives. Could do with a little less noise of course, but since I could have purchased 2 Tourings for what another BMW similarly equipped, would have cost, I'm not complaining. And back then, BMW was talking about charging an annual fee for the privilege of having Android Auto or Apple car Play. Don't know if they have given up on that one, but it doesn't matter. I've had my 20 years of fun and now I'm not into spending that kind of money on cars any more.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
since I could have purchased 2 Tourings for what another BMW similarly equipped, would have cost, I'm not complaining. And back then, BMW was talking about charging an annual fee for the privilege of having Android Auto or Apple car Play. Don't know if they have given up on that one, but it doesn't matter. I've had my 20 years of fun and now I'm not into spending that kind of money on cars any more.
And, after 2 or 3 years, those two Tourings would EACH be worth more than the BMW.
Honda and BMW are at the complete opposite ends of the "Holds its Value" spectrum.
I believe there is now a subscription fee to use the BMW's heated seats.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
1,524 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts