Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black glossy part under the airbag on my steering wheel got all scratched up somehow. Anyone have any idea if scratches on there could be buffed out? Or does anyone have any idea how to replace this piece? Can’t seem to find information on this piece or anything but replacements for the entire steering wheel online. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same question. Wife just got the brand new car and can't figure out how it got scratched.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The black glossy part under the airbag on my steering wheel got all scratched up somehow. Anyone have any idea if scratches on there could be buffed out? Or does anyone have any idea how to replace this piece? Can’t seem to find information on this piece or anything but replacements for the entire steering wheel online. Thanks!
first swing past the dealer and see if they can replace for premature wear. ( push that the rest of the interior is perfect)

if that doesnt work the part is cheap.
For install you need to look up the heated steering wheel installation instructions to swap it out (just the wheel part)

or if you just want a visal cheap fix, go on ebay and order some chinese stick on trim cover and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts

It is a soft plastic, glossy, black, sits where fingers (and hence fingernails) can hit it, and hence prone to easy scratches and the scratches being visible in the right light.

Personally, I simply take care to avoid letting anything hit it... but it will get minor abrasions anyway.. and I recently rebuffed mine to shiny new with a little plastic polish **. Honestly a gentle polish with a soft cloth used for cleaning glasses and a bit of toothpaste would probably do the trick as well (as long as it is not one with any grit polishing compound in it). You have to go softly and in a gentle circular motion to have the best results, followed by a gentle buffing with a clean cloth to remove any residue.

If you have very deep scratches in it.. you probably will not be able to polish those out.

** This is the product I use for gentle polishing and finishing of soft plastics in my vehicles as well as other plastic items in the home: https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UCYRZU/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=plastic+polish&qid=1573075061&sr=8-5 (Be cautious with the number 3 bottle though.. as that will likely do more harm then good on this particular piece of plastic under discussion. Stick with the number 2 bottle and number 1 bottle for finishing. In reality, you could probably suffice with the smaller kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B4UGZE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

·
Registered
835 Posts
first swing past the dealer and see if they can replace for premature wear. ( push that the rest of the interior is perfect)

if that doesnt work the part is cheap.
For install you need to look up the heated steering wheel installation instructions to swap it out (just the wheel part)

or if you just want a visal cheap fix, go on ebay and order some chinese stick on trim cover and call it a day.
This!

It just pries off. There are little clips/hooks and the whole piece is pretty flimsy. No worries if you break it,but the aforementioned heated wheel instructions will show it exactly what I described with photos.

Please don't buy stick on garbage... As far as diy, this is easy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts