Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before taking a road trip to Florida from South Carolina, I decide to get 2 new tires (Michelin X Radial 205/75R15) on the front of my 1999 Honda CRV EX 5sp. My CRV has 115k and I already had the same tires on all 4 wheels. But the front tires were getting a little worn and I knew there would be a lot of rain on the summer drive to Florida. So, off to Sam's club for 2 more of the same tires to replace the front 2. When I left the club... oh boy was the ride "different". The ride felt as if my car had been "lowered" and the springs ultra tight and it bounced around like I had "leaf springs". It doesn't feel like a bouncy shock absorber bounce, but like a stiff, over tightened suspension you see on young-kid sportster type cars these days. The ride height hadn't changed. But you could then feel every little dip in the road. So, I remembered that the tire pressure not the standard 35 psi for CRV's but 26 psi. And yes, I checked and they were over filled to 35psi. So, I lowered it to 32, just for experimentation to see if it changed any - not much. But I went with it thinking it might improve gas mileage. It didn't seem to - still 25 mpg roughly. So, I lower the air pressure to the standard 26 psi and, strangely, the ride is still stiff and bouncy.

Before I took it in to the Sam's club, I didn't have this problem, but I did have a sort of "softness" and, what seemed like a sort of knock underneath when going over speed bumps. I figured it was bad swaybar links and I'd replace them "someday". Now, the knocking is gone, but boy does it ride rougher. So, I'm not sure how much of this roughness is normal. Did the guys at Sam's club, by having the car suspended, weight off the wheels for some time cause something to shift and is now properly or improperly seated to create the stiff ride?

Another clue is that when I hit these same speed bumps at work, I can no longer zoom over them at 25, without a very horrible sort of crunch/squeak sound coming from underneath that sounds like, possibly struts squeaking, or rubber bushings squeaking against steel framing or maybe even, possibly tire against wheel well? Not really sure about the last one. That seems quite drastic.

Anyway, I'm looking for some perspective on what "normal" ride is for a 1999 CRV and how much, if any of this suspension should I start replacing. My first thought was struts as that's a relatively simple Saturday DIY project.

All thoughts comments, suggestions, guidance, wisdom, graciously welcomed!

Michael

·
Registered
42 Posts
More than likely it's struts. What happened in when they raised the car on the lift the struts extended. Sometimes they will settle back down after a week or so. If you don't see any oil residue on the struts try some heavy braking when on a road with no cars behind you. Don't want a rear end collision. This will help to settle them. Look on the inside of the drivers door and see what the air pressure should be. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just before taking a road trip to Florida from South Carolina, I decide to get 2 new tires (Michelin X Radial 205/75R15) on the front of my 1999 Honda CRV EX 5sp. My CRV has 115k and I already had the same tires on all 4 wheels. But the front tires were getting a little worn and I knew there would be a lot of rain on the summer drive to Florida. So, off to Sam's club for 2 more of the same tires to replace the front 2. When I left the club... oh boy was the ride "different". The ride felt as if my car had been "lowered" and the springs ultra tight and it bounced around like I had "leaf springs". It doesn't feel like a bouncy shock absorber bounce, but like a stiff, over tightened suspension you see on young-kid sportster type cars these days. The ride height hadn't changed. But you could then feel every little dip in the road. So, I remembered that the tire pressure not the standard 35 psi for CRV's but 26 psi. And yes, I checked and they were over filled to 35psi. So, I lowered it to 32, just for experimentation to see if it changed any - not much. But I went with it thinking it might improve gas mileage. It didn't seem to - still 25 mpg roughly. So, I lower the air pressure to the standard 26 psi and, strangely, the ride is still stiff and bouncy.

Before I took it in to the Sam's club, I didn't have this problem, but I did have a sort of "softness" and, what seemed like a sort of knock underneath when going over speed bumps. I figured it was bad swaybar links and I'd replace them "someday". Now, the knocking is gone, but boy does it ride rougher. So, I'm not sure how much of this roughness is normal. Did the guys at Sam's club, by having the car suspended, weight off the wheels for some time cause something to shift and is now properly or improperly seated to create the stiff ride?

Another clue is that when I hit these same speed bumps at work, I can no longer zoom over them at 25, without a very horrible sort of crunch/squeak sound coming from underneath that sounds like, possibly struts squeaking, or rubber bushings squeaking against steel framing or maybe even, possibly tire against wheel well? Not really sure about the last one. That seems quite drastic.

Anyway, I'm looking for some perspective on what "normal" ride is for a 1999 CRV and how much, if any of this suspension should I start replacing. My first thought was struts as that's a relatively simple Saturday DIY project.

All thoughts comments, suggestions, guidance, wisdom, graciously welcomed!

Michael
Hello, I have the same stiff ride after replacing my tires with new Michelins this past weekend. I thought my struts might be shot (177k miles) but my friend rode in the car with me and he, too, said it had a "lowered" car feel. Did you find a solution to your problem?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You could switch them out to the back and see what happens!

·
Everything in Moderation
8,029 Posts
This is an old Topic, but it's always possible that the pressure in the new tires is too high. (Or at least, higher than the old tires had.)

Remember, to mount the tires, they have to put a LOT of air in to seat the beads....and they could have forgotten to remove the excess. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts