Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm really stuck and so is the garage that has done a lot of work to my 2004 Honda CRV 1800 Petrol 4WD.

The car had been sitting off road for a while and back brakes were binding, at first we thought it could be the handbrake cable but this was checked and all ok so new rear shoes were fitted but no difference so new brake calipers were fitted along with fresh brake fluid.

However the mechanic realised that the callipers were not releasing? basically he had to 'tap' or 'knock' the caliper and it would only then properly release? SO therefore car drove but you could feel it was still binding and rear wheels would get very hot?

So thinking it was a fluid issue, a new Master cylinder was fitted along with new rear brake rubber flexis, and the whole brake lines were checked and blown out properly with fresh fluid and bleed again!

Car then went off for its mot and passed with flying colours, mechanic brought car back to me all fixed, but still the car drives with a binding issue, rear wheels and brakes getting hot?

So next on the list was a 2nd hand ABS pump - the mechanic was convinced it wasn't this but it was next on the list and yes I'm afraid I had to source a second hand one as I'd spent a fortune by this point. ( 4 new tyres, service, oil pressure pump, brakes!!! )
A good tested ABS pump was sourced from a reliable eBay seller and guess what? no difference?

I have disconnected the ABS pump and car drives with same binding issue too ( maybe should have done this beforehand! )

SO next on the list was possible faulty new rear calipers - spoke to supplier, happy to send new ones with a warranty form just incase, but new calipers make no difference?

I've had a second mechanic look at it all as first mechanic has given up and second mechanic can't see any issues?

I am now stuck and lost and sitting with a car that really isn't drivable?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Suggest you cap rear lines where they would normally connect to rear calipers (you can buy fittings that do this -I have done it) then drive car and see if r brakes still get hot -this way you narrow it down to a mechanical issue in rear brakes or unwanted hydraulic fluid pressure coming from front. Front brakes do most of the work stopping car anyway so you should still have decent stopping power during this time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm really stuck and so is the garage that has done a lot of work to my 2004 Honda CRV 1800 Petrol 4WD.

The car had been sitting off road for a while and back brakes were binding, at first we thought it could be the handbrake cable but this was checked and all ok so new rear shoes were fitted but no difference so new brake calipers were fitted along with fresh brake fluid.

However the mechanic realised that the callipers were not releasing? basically he had to 'tap' or 'knock' the caliper and it would only then properly release? SO therefore car drove but you could feel it was still binding and rear wheels would get very hot?

So thinking it was a fluid issue, a new Master cylinder was fitted along with new rear brake rubber flexis, and the whole brake lines were checked and blown out properly with fresh fluid and bleed again!

Car then went off for its mot and passed with flying colours, mechanic brought car back to me all fixed, but still the car drives with a binding issue, rear wheels and brakes getting hot?

So next on the list was a 2nd hand ABS pump - the mechanic was convinced it wasn't this but it was next on the list and yes I'm afraid I had to source a second hand one as I'd spent a fortune by this point. ( 4 new tyres, service, oil pressure pump, brakes!!! )
A good tested ABS pump was sourced from a reliable eBay seller and guess what? no difference?

I have disconnected the ABS pump and car drives with same binding issue too ( maybe should have done this beforehand! )

SO next on the list was possible faulty new rear calipers - spoke to supplier, happy to send new ones with a warranty form just incase, but new calipers make no difference?

I've had a second mechanic look at it all as first mechanic has given up and second mechanic can't see any issues?

I am now stuck and lost and sitting with a car that really isn't drivable?
did you ever figure out what the issue is? my right rear brake is still binding up and smoking. I replaced the caliper already and adjusted the brake switch. Dont want to just randomly throw parts at it. its weird because its only one wheel that is binding. caliper piston pushes back on the new caliper too if i use pliers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts