Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ’01 CR-V(130k miles) was new to me in ‘07 with 70k miles. Nothing in the records about shock replacement.
It doesn’t ride bouncy(as I experienced with older cars that had worn shock issues) but it does ride a little rough, but no worse than when I bought it.
Have any of you decided replaced the old shocks to discover improved ride quality? .. or that your old shocks had been blown with no symptoms?..
And if so, what has been your best suspension “upgrade” for normal road driving(not off-roading or street racing)?
Thanks!
Rob

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Data point: Our '06 with 184,000 miles still has the original shocks.

Reactions: ABQ Rob

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
I think I'm on my original shocks at 202k. I'm leaning toward replacing them because, while they still damp well, my rear end sags a little.

Before people start telling me shocks don't support the weight of the car, having replaced several, I can tell you each shock does push up with about 60-100 lbs of force, so while the springs do support the car's weight, the shocks do help.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
each shock does push up with about 60-100 lbs of force
If they had that much extension force, I would not be able to install shock absorbers! ?

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,086 Posts
You might be overestimating how much 60 lbs of force is. Some bicycles weigh more than that. Monroe shocks push up more than that when new (i had to put my body weight on top of them to compress them when pulling them out of the box). My mechanic says I'm not heavy enough to compress a new KYB stock by hand.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V LX (leather seats upgrade) Nighthawk Black 283,000 miles
8 Posts
My '99 CRV has 283k miles on it with original shocks/suspension...still rides smooth. I've used it many times for hauling full cargo (back seats folded down, stacked to the roof) and not a bit of lean. I've only had to replace to rear sway links once after hauling 600 lbs. of sakrete and tube forms to replace a friends deck. It's been a great SUV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts