Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Few nights ago I parked my Honda CRV EX 2018 in a shopping center parking lot. After 2 hours when I came back my car was gone. Then the police came and wrote a report. After 3 hours the police contacted me that we fond your car in the same parking lot and you just forgot where you parked!!! I was shocked and didn't say anything at that time. Tomorrow morning I went there to see if really my car exist and it was there!!! But the rear bumper was damaged and all my belongings was inside the car as well. The other strange part is when I sat in the car to turn it on, I realized it was on drive mode instead of park. This means the thief was in rush and just turned off the car and ran away. I am glad my car was found. But the question is why somebody do something like this? Also I spoke to the police officer again and asked for investigation and he said there is no camera in that part of that parking lot. Now I have make a claim thru my insurance and be ready to pay a big chunk of money. I just want to share and be happy to hear your opinions about this incident.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Take pictures to provide for the insurance company, along with a copy of the police report. That's about all you can do. Nowadays the police have gotten lazy. They won't fingerprint a car unless it's a murder investigation, even though fingerprints would likely solve it. Even with a felony like car theft. They'll just say they are too busy for small stuff like your case. I'd say you're very lucky you got your car back, but that doesn't ease the violated feeling. This also shows just how worthless new car anti-theft systems with their expensive keys and other components are. The thief will probably get away with his crimes for a long while before he is ever caught, simply because of lax enforcement and poorly protected newer cars. Go get yourself an alarm system installed, with LoJack. LoJack works. They can take the car, but you can find it immediately.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
...But the rear bumper was damaged and all my belongings was inside the car as well...
Are you saying that nothing was taken from the vehicle and it just had rear bumper damage? That would be odd. Did you maybe forget to turn it off when you got out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s the strange part. They left the car in a different location but same parking lot. That’s why the police first thought we forgot were we parked. But they don’t care about these cases and told me just make a claim with your insurance with the report number he gave me.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,757 Posts
You must have felt like you'd entered another dimension....I have walked away from my 16, key in pocket, engine on. It runs for a few minutes...before shutting down.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So, how is this possible? FOB cloning device? If the thief had cloned the FOB, entered, started the vehicle and moved it (backed up, hit another car, drove off etc.) why would they return the vehicle to the same lot and risk getting caught? Kinda sounds like maybe they never left the lot, maybe they freaked out and just left it in another spot. Does your vehicle auto-lock when you walk away? Was it locked when you got there the next day?

Not saying your account is inaccurate, but would a FOB cloning device allow this to happen and do you have to hit a button on your FOB for someone to grab a clone or does just walking away allow someone to grab a clone?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hello,

Few nights ago I parked my Honda CRV EX 2018 in a shopping center parking lot. After 2 hours when I came back my car was gone. Then the police came and wrote a report. After 3 hours the police contacted me that we fond your car in the same parking lot and you just forgot where you parked!!! I was shocked and didn't say anything at that time. Tomorrow morning I went there to see if really my car exist and it was there!!! But the rear bumper was damaged and all my belongings was inside the car as well. The other strange part is when I sat in the car to turn it on, I realized it was on drive mode instead of park. This means the thief was in rush and just turned off the car and ran away. I am glad my car was found. But the question is why somebody do something like this? Also I spoke to the police officer again and asked for investigation and he said there is no camera in that part of that parking lot. Now I have make a claim thru my insurance and be ready to pay a big chunk of money. I just want to share and be happy to hear your opinions about this incident.
Someone towed the wrong car???

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm just wondering, but if you leave the CR-V in drive, and you get out and walk away, can the CR-V roll down hill to another part of the parking lot hitting another car in the process?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, how is this possible? FOB cloning device? If the thief had cloned the FOB, entered, started the vehicle and moved it (backed up, hit another car, drove off etc.) why would they return the vehicle to the same lot and risk getting caught? Kinda sounds like maybe they never left the lot, maybe they freaked out and just left it in another spot. Does your vehicle auto-lock when you walk away? Was it locked when you got there the next day?

Not saying your account is inaccurate, but would a FOB cloning device allow this to happen and do you have to hit a button on your FOB for someone to grab a clone or does just walking away allow someone to grab a clone?

Yes my car does the auto-lock. I was thinking not to use my fob any more and just use my hand to lock it. I just want to know as well why they did this? But the police doesn't care at all. They only thing I can think is they did a crime with it and returned back. Maybe they didn't left the lot but we weren't able to find it on that time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We thought about it too. But when we got inside the car it was on drive mode. Means somebody drove it. I thought you can't turn off the car while on drive mode. But I tried it and you can. It's a really strange situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you saying that nothing was taken from the vehicle and it just had rear bumper damage? That would be odd. Did you maybe forget to turn it off when you got out?
no that isn't possible. The police found the car on the other side of the parking lot. Maybe they toke the car and did a crime and retired it. I also heard they shipped cars to south America. Maybe because of the damage they did, they returned it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

We thought about it too. But when we got inside the car it was on drive mode. Means somebody drove it. I thought you can't turn off the car while on drive mode. But I tried it and you can. It's a really strange situation.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,127 Posts
I was thinking -maybe there was a full moon.... but no, that's 2/4. :bandit:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
latest news. The police report is saying that we forgot were we parked and it wasn't a robbery. Now I have to fight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something is fishy.

When you leave the car and Auto Lock is active, the doors lock unless the engine is running or you leave the key fob in the car.

If you leave it in drive with the engine running and the Auto Brake is engaged, the car can be in DRIVE and it will not move from that position.

There should be no way someone could enter the car and drive it, much less put it in drive mode, without the key fob or a clone of the key fob.

I have to believe that there is more to the story that you are not telling. Was there a key fob in the car when you walked away from the car?
Was the engine runing when you walked away from the car? Do you have Auto Lock activated so that the doors lock when you walk away from the car when the engine is off?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
To the insurance company, I'm thinking there would be no difference. If nothing was lost or stolen and the only damage was the dent in the bumper, then that is what matters to them. A parking lot (in Texas anyway) is considered a sort of no-fault zone in most cases. So take pictures, get an estimate, and file a claim. If you have already reported it to the insurance company, it is already on the record. If not, depending on the amount of damage you may want to just pay out of pocket and not report it, as any incident report or claim always affects your insurance rates.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.