Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my key fobs was stolen, along with my wallet. I’d like to replace the fob and change the frequency. How big of a problem is the physical key? It can open the door but not start the car, right? Do people typically re-key their locks in this situation? I realize this is quite a bit more expensive than just getting the new fob. Appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
Anytime you program new keys, it wipes old keys from the car's memory, so the old key won't be able to start and drive the car. A physical key would still be able to open doors, but no one would be able to steal the car with just the mechanical key.

I wouldn't worry to much unless you live in a high crime area, and/or the thief knows where you live or work. There are so many CR-Vs out there that finding the one you happen to have a key to would be impossible, since after you program new keys, the car won't respond to the old remote either. Also, unless they know it belongs to a CR-V, it could theoretically belong to any Honda, of which there are many.

Just be sure to follow the usual anti-theft advice:
Keep your car clean and looking nice so it looks like you look after it.
Close and lock all doors and windows whenever leaving the car.
Try to park in a place where you have to reverse to drive away, or inside a locked garage, if possible.
Keep all valuable/stealable items hidden out of sight, or not in the car at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts