Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the interest of what's best for the car, is it better to go to neutral or keep it in drive when at a stop light for 3 minutes? I just keep it in drive and engage the handbrake, while my friend would rather shift to neutral. He says a Honda dealer taught him that. Your thoughts, guys?

·
Registered
713 Posts
It really doesn't matter...

·
Registered
352 Posts
i'd turn the car off for three minutes! as a general rule of thumb, most modern engines use <30 seconds worth of fuel to start. (a car designed for start/stop operation would be even less, say ~5 seconds).

anyway, i assume you have an automatic. why leave it in D? you're just trying to push the car forwards against the handbrake. put it in N and put the handbrake on. but to be honest, i don't think it matters very much at all. automatics are designed to be held in D while stopped.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,891 Posts
I'd turn the engine off, too. But that's just me. You don't move at all for three minutes?

Here's something to think about: modern engine management systems try to maintain a certain idle speed. So,if you leave it in gear with the brake on, it will feed the engine MORE gas so it won't stall, than it would if you had it in neutral.

There are other reasons to keep the engine on (heat or A/C for the driver). I doubt you would be saving much gasoline or stressing the mechanicals in any scenario.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts