Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been home about 3 hours. Just walked out in the garage and I heard a low humming sound under and back of CRV. Sounded like a small motor or fan would sound. Started the car and it stopped. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LPG?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LPG as fuel. Liquid Petroleum Gas. It needs to be circulated regularly and the pump hums. That's why I asked.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is a pump that checks the evap system by applying pressure to the gas tank. It does this approx once a month about 5 hours after the vehicle is shut off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Approximately five hours after the engine is turned off, you may hear sound coming from under the vehicle for several minutes. This is the sound of a fuel evaporation leakage check and, it does not indicate a malfunction"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all replies! It was just strange to hear. I did read somewhere that the weather conditions can cause and we had a storm today and temperature drop of about 15* and garage still hot

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is a pump that checks the evap system by applying pressure to the gas tank. It does this approx once a month about 5 hours after the vehicle is shut off.
Thanks for that info. I noticed the same sound a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out what it was.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Thanks for that info. I noticed the same sound a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out what it was.
I've never actually heard the sound.. but I have seen it activate on my bluetooth battery monitor when I upload the data log periodically as it will draw notable current while active and I can easily see it on the time-data graph. Looks like it normally triggers about 5 hours +/- after vehicle shutdown.. and it will not do it all the time. If I recall correctly, Honda claims it is based on the current level of fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You would think this would be on the list of things to tell you when the keys are handed over after the sale. I didn't what was going on when i first heard it. A quick Google calmed my nerves but I still wondered why after 100 years of auto manufacturing we now need it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts