Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - we just got a 2009 CR-V 4WD with 97k miles. While changing the ATF (and finding out that it takes a quart more than the manual says :mad:) I checked the power steering reservoir and noticed a steady stream of small bubbles coming in from the front side of the reservoir. Is any bubbling bad? I haven't really noticed any PS whine, but I didn't have a lot of time to check.

I've seen the really bad problem (where it foams up and overflows) on my '06 Accord, where the one o-ring leaks air.

Should I go ahead and try the o-ring swap, and if so what part number am I looking for? I'm used to the Accord parts diagrams, and am having trouble spotting the correct o-ring in the CR-V diagrams.

What are other common areas that could let air into the system on gen 3 CR-Vs? I couldn't find any CR-V specific TSB for this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answering my own question, after doing some more lock to lock testing and watching the reservoir, I can definitely see it foaming more. I can also hear a slight buzzing, though nowhere near as bad as others have had.

I found the o-ring on the PS Pump diagram, O-RING (13.0X1.9), part number 91345-RDA-A01. I'll try removing the o-ring and putting some AT-205 Reseal on it. That worked on my '06 Accord to stop the major air leak it was having.

My girlfriend says that driving on the highway, the steering wheel is vibrating. Can air in the PS system cause this, or is that more likely due to tire balance / alignment?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,716 Posts
The fluid pumping through the reservoir REALLY churns a lot, this is normal and will not cause any steering wheel vibrations.

With 97K miles, I'd replace the fluid (use ONLY Honda-spec PS fluid). I just used a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid, I pumped one bottle of new stuff through it over several weeks).

++++++++++++++++

Swap the front tires to the back, see if that changes her vibration perception. If it does, have the tires re balanced (Road Force balancing is the most accurate).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts