Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all CRV owners,

We got our 2018 EX-L AWD CRV a few days ago.
It's always been parked inside the garage and we did not have any issues until tonight.
My wife and I came back from dinner and we parked our CRV in garage as usual.
We spent about 5 minutes playing with infotainment settings while the engine was running.
When we got out of the car, severe gas fume smell was filling up the garage.
I did not have any issues with my 2015 Prius and 2005 Camry doing that.

Has anyone experienced such issue?
We did not smell gas fume in cavin though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
was your garage door closed the whole time? I wouldn't be surprised if it smelled gas/exhaust especially without proper ventilation. Just my .02

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,187 Posts
First check the engine oil level. There is an issue with gas accumulating in the oil. There are a couple of threads on the forum about this. If the oil level is high you will want to take the CRV to your dealer and have them change the oil.

Also I hope you backed the vehicle out of the garage and didn't run it for 5 min. while it sat in the garage even with the door open. A lot of fumes can collect within 5 min. if you didn't.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yes it's a known issue and common with DI turbo engines like our little 1.5T. They run rich and gas fumes are present in the exhaust. Imagine the fuel economy if all that gas wasn't wasted out the exhaust and in the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yes it's a known issue and common with DI turbo engines like our little 1.5T. They run rich and gas fumes are present in the exhaust. Imagine the fuel economy if all that gas wasn't wasted out the exhaust and in the oil pan.
I have owned several cars with DI engine and never experienced gas fumes when parked in a garage....even with engine on

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
323 Posts
Check the spark plugs, if not torqued correctly they can work loose and the fuel mixture can leak through. I've seen this on a few Honda and Acura vehicles. Never on a new one though.

Either way, I'd take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have owned several cars with DI engine and never experienced gas fumes when parked in a garage....even with engine on
Then it must happen somewhere between 0 and 100% as mine does it every time without fail.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've smell gasoline fumes a couple times after parking both our Civic and CRV. Never had that on any other car I've owned that I can recall including a DI Audi Q5 2.0T. Interesting that I've noticed both of them doing it. It,s only after shut down. I have not noticed it after they have been parked.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Totally normal from what others have reported and nobody has burst into flames or burned their house down.
Could be purging pressure from the tank after driving.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussing and debating on this thread is futile until the distinction is made between raw gasoline smell, and fume rich exhaust smells. They are two totally different things and limiting this discussion to just one of them would at least give this discussion some value.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts