Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost new CRV EX has a strong gasoline odor, especially if I shut it off and then return to the car within a half hour. My garage also reeks. I've found other mentions of this on the web, seems to be a serious ongoing issue. I'm a bit angry that Honda continues to manufacture and sell this engine knowing this problem exists.

Is there a solution? If I take it to the dealership, can it be fixed?

What can I expect from Honda?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,195 Posts
Right now report the problem to Honda and have them change the oil, that is where the source of the fumes are coming from. Other manufacturers have address this issue by putting a permanent charcoal filter in the air intake air box in series with the engine air filter.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Be prepared to spend a lot of time at the Honda dealership having your oil changed :=(
The "FIX" is not working

·
Registered
18 Posts
AND....please report your problem to the NHTSA on the following link. This is VERY IMPORTANT. The more owners that voice their concerns to the NHTSA the better chance Honda will be forced to do a necessary recall and fix this properly. This could be a safety issue of course if your vehicle were to stall on the highway. It only takes a few minutes to fill out the form. And yes, take your vehicle to your local Honda dealer to get on the records. My dealer has completely ignored me, claims they don't know about this issue (even after going public) and has claimed I am over-reacting basically which quite frankly enrages me to no end. But I'm not alone.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/HONDA/CR-V/SUV/AWD

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are correct. I had my "fix" last Friday. I checked my oil after I got home and it was showing overfilled with a smell of fuel. I'm either going to contact a lawyer or see if they will buy the vehicle back. This is ridiculous!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Check the lemon law in your state.
Don't bother. If it's gas-oil dilution issue, then it's not a problem where a lemon law can be used. If it's the smell of gas in the cabin, then that MIGHT be a different story but then Honda can always say, not an issue because you can drive with your windows down.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Don't bother. If it's gas-oil dilution issue, then it's not a problem where a lemon law can be used. If it's the smell of gas in the cabin, then that MIGHT be a different story but then Honda can always say, not an issue because you can drive with your windows down.
gas in oil is a BIg problem because it WILL damage your engine. maybe not now but it will catch up to you probably after the warranty is up.
THIS IS A LEMON LAW ISSUE and Honda has NO solution for the fix for 2 years now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
How about a little reality an owner with concerns might actually follow.

STEP 1 = Have your dealer diagnose and record the issue.
Make certain they clearly state what you are reporting and what they performed on your invoice.

STEP 2 = Repeat if needed and call Honda Customer service.

STEP 3 = Repeat if needed. Call Honda Customer service again. Remain calm and respectful.

Only NOW do you have a case that will get attention. No one will take you serious until the problem is verified and not fixed given multiple attempts. This is key...and FACT. Even reporting to NHTSA is useless and baseless without some verifiable evidence of your report.

STEP 4 = Game on. NHTSA reporting. State Lemon Law inquires. Buy Back discussions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
gas in oil is a BIg problem because it WILL damage your engine. .[/B]
Not true.

UOA's show no abnormal wear. Not one so far.

UOA's of those with 5% or more fuel in the oil have viscosity very similar to 0w-16 oils! How exciting is that? A free MPG improver. Thanks Honda!

Seriously though, the hype over engine damage with fuel dilution so far shown via UOA is just that; HYPE. (I am not referring to the very rare reports of oil levels becoming so high they affect engine performance and throws codes.)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Not true.

UOA's of those with 5% or more fuel in the oil have viscosity very similar to 0w-16 oils! How exciting is that? A free MPG improver. Thanks Honda!

Seriously though, the hype over engine damage with fuel dilution so far shown via UOA is just that; HYPE. (I am not referring to the very rare reports of oil levels becoming so high they affect engine performance and throws codes.)
I'm sorry but lot of people are having more than 5% dilution. You do the math....3.7gts of oil and almost 3/4 to 1 qt. of gas.
1 or 2 samples test of the oil does not give the whole picture

Do you work for Honda because you sure sound like it ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not true.

What is your definition of 'abnormal wear'. If you dig deep enough you can find stories of oil dilution and cams torn up with this engine I would certainly qualify that as abnormal wear.

My third and fourth oil change showed elevated iron counts double of universal averages - I made a change to 0w/30 and now my metal counts have dropped to normal averages. Will my engine blow up tomorrow - no, but the gas wasn't helping it age and I don't qualify elevated iron counts as normal wear. My 130K mile 3.6L grand caravan had twice the oil mileage length, significantly more total miles, same mobil 1 oil, and the iron counts were half less of the CRV.

I started testing the oil in this engine because I had fuel smells on hot soak start and hot idle. Dealer was evasive and not helpful and I began to understand something more than my gas stunk. For the original poster... I replaced the cabin filter with a carbon charged filter - helped tremendously. At 19K miles the fuel smells in the cabin became a thing of the past, but the oil level rise is still present - just not as severe.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm sorry but lot of people are having more than 5% dilution. You do the math....3.7gts of oil and almost 3/4 to 1 qt. of gas.
1 or 2 samples test of the oil does not give the whole picture

Do you work for Honda because you sure sound like it ?
Don't bother anyone with math. Find proof there is abnormal engine wear on any UOA example with diluted oil. It's that simple.

And yes, you should apologize. Apologize for reporting that there WILL be engine damage when there's not even the slightest hint of that occurring.

The engine (not engineS) with actual damage was not due to premature engine wear. It was failure due to extremely high oil levels causing functionality problems, and components locking up. I have only read of ONE example of this. One.

·
Registered
351 Posts
What is your definition of 'abnormal wear'. If you dig deep enough you can find stories of oil dilution and cams torn up with this engine I would certainly qualify that as abnormal wear.

My third and fourth oil change showed elevated iron counts double of universal averages - I made a change to 0w/30 and now my metal counts have dropped to normal averages.

At 19K miles the fuel smells in the cabin became a thing of the past, but the oil level rise is still present - just not as severe.

I do not find but one example of "cams being torn up" and it was not an engine wear issue, as noted previously.

I also looked up your UOA. 4300 miles on the oil. 4.5% fuel in the oil and ever slightly elevated iron on a still young engine.

You are really making a big deal out of this, when its really not, and I find you're only sharing what you want to share.

Edit: Found your full report. Not bad at all. Blackstone makes you aware of what is outstanding but says little concern. They end simply saying to check back in another 4000 miles. (And Miles on vehicle is removed.)

Still, where are the other 2-3 UOA reports you said you did, for comparison? Why show just the one?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not true.

RTV, how can you proclaim that gas in oil will not damage your engine? What is your definition of "damage"? Exploding engines? Melt down engines? I think the issue here is in regard to the life expectancy of a Honda engine. True, gas in oil won't kill an engine in the next few years but for those of us who keep our cars for a long time, it accelerates the wear of the engine. The more gas, the worse. If gasoline in oil is not an issue, then I wonder why we don't just switch to all gasoline to lubricate our engine? Oh wait, have you ever use gasoline to wash out oily parts? It strips out the oil, leaving the parts squeaky clean. This proves that gas in oil is bad for lubrication.

As for proof, who among us has the capability or the means to "prove it" to you? Unless we disassemble our car and measure lubricated parts with a micrometer then it's not possible to "prove it". The proof is in the long term and we're not there yet.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
RTV, how can you proclaim that gas in oil will not damage your engine? What is your definition of "damage"? Exploding engines? Melt down engines? I think the issue here is in regard to the life expectancy of a Honda engine. True, gas in oil won't kill an engine in the next few years but for those of us who keep our cars for a long time, it accelerates the wear of the engine. The more gas, the worse. If gasoline in oil is not an issue, then I wonder why we don't just switch to all gasoline to lubricate our engine? Oh wait, have you ever use gasoline to wash out oily parts? It strips out the oil, leaving the parts squeaky clean. This proves that gas in oil is bad for lubrication.

As for proof, who among us has the capability or the means to "prove it" to you? Unless we disassemble our car and measure lubricated parts with a micrometer then it's not possible to "prove it". The proof is in the long term and we're not there yet.
Even if you had hard proof Rincon would not believe you..... We are just wasting time responding to his posts.
Comen sense is not in his vocabulary.

·
Registered
351 Posts
RTV, how can you proclaim that gas in oil will not damage your engine? What is your definition of "damage"? .

UOA's provide the best indicators of abnormal (engine, transmission, gear case...ect.) wear. That's a Fact.

Next would be a tear down.

Or continue to ride the assumption, speculation, fear mongering bandwagon that all CRV engines will be worn out when the 60k warranty ends.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Even if you had hard proof Rincon would not believe you..... We are just wasting time responding to his posts.
Comen sense is not in his vocabulary.
So common sense is checking oil levels improperly and assuming engines WILL wear out prematurely with out a lick of evidence.

I fully understand you now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.