Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2017 CRV EXL back in March, lately when I got out of the car after putting it in the garage, I notice a very strong sulfur smell. I have to leave the garage door open for a while to let the smell dissipate. My 2011 Accord EXL does not have that smell. Any owners notice this with theirs?

Thanks.

Norbe

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Traditionally, sulphur was the smell of a failed catalytic, but sulphur contamination hasn't been an issue with gasoline for many years. When a cat fails these days, it's because it gets clogged or the matrix gets fouled. A clog will make for an obvious performance issue, and a fouled matrix will flag a Check Engine light in a hurry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a 2017 CRV EXL back in March, lately when I got out of the car after putting it in the garage, I notice a very strong sulfur smell. I have to leave the garage door open for a while to let the smell dissipate. My 2011 Accord EXL does not have that smell. Any owners notice this with theirs?

Thanks.

Norbe
not sure of sulfur smell but I do get lot of gasoline smell while I start my V in garage,so much more than my 18yr old Civic.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,636 Posts
Just for kicks, try a different brand of gas. I know it sometimes makes a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I call it the sulfur odor, without knowing precisely what it is. It does not smell exactly like rotten egg sulfur odor. It is a bizarre smell as ulieq described it. Will wait a bit. If it persists, I will consult with the dealer.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just for kicks, try a different brand of gas. I know it sometimes makes a difference.
This is what we use to suggest to people before they got all panicked about this smell. Some gasoline will give more odor than others. I wouldn't worry too much about a bad cat on a new car. Its a simple device and while anything is possible a new cat takes a bit of time and work from a pretty bad engine to cause it to die. Besides, it is monitored in OBD II and will set a code if its not working properly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been trying to remember something about "sulfur smell" and my brother's 18-wheeler tractor. I know it came up in the past few months, he smelled it and turned out it was a bad battery and dangerous. (At least for his vehicle. The trucker schools should tell drivers when they train, along with a list of other dangers, but they did not tell him. I'd never heard this but my spouse is very good on mechanics and chemistry and electrical, and told my brother to immediately call his service department. )

Not sure about the batteries on regular cars. (Will ask.) But here's a link to a thread on a forum for trucks... https://www.thetruckersreport.com/t...-odor-smells-like-sulphur-rotten-eggs.165088/

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's possible, what you may be smelling is the new tire and engine break in smell. My garage smelled horrible for the first month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but we just had the same issue with my girlfriends 2017 crv.(owned 7 months 3000 miles). Recently after shifting into sport mode to aid in crossing 4 lanes of traffic her engine light came on and she lost acceleration. Getting out she had the rotten egg smell. This then happened 2 times and was taken to the dealership both times. They were unable to recreate the issue. After getting it back the second time it was driven home on the highway and completely failed. This time I went with her to the dealership and told them not to return the car until they figured out the issue. It took getting a FTS involved and was eventually diagnosed as having a fuel injector that failed to close. Causing the fuel mix to be too rich. So anyone out there having that smell I recommend having this checked out.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Some times I get that smell when I push my CRV hard “over 6,000rpm”, with sun roof open.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 CRV that has a rotten egg/sulfur/gas smell every time I park it after driving it. My battery seems to be fine. Has anyone had a non battery related issue like this fixed at the dealer? Do Catalytic converters go bad this quick? Is it related to oil dilution or bad injectors? Even though the car is still under warranty, the dealer says they may need to charge me up to $150.00 to diagnose. Sounds like a racket to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
I have a 2018 CRV that has a rotten egg/sulfur/gas smell every time I park it after driving it. My battery seems to be fine. Has anyone had a non battery related issue like this fixed at the dealer? Do Catalytic converters go bad this quick? Is it related to oil dilution or bad injectors? Even though the car is still under warranty, the dealer says they may need to charge me up to $150.00 to diagnose. Sounds like a racket to me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest as first step... stop speculating about every possible issue with a CRV that you may have read about or heard about. You will just run yourself in circles :)

As for the dealer wanting a fee to diagnose... that only applies when you insist they troubleshoot, yet they are unable to confirm whatever the issue is that you are experiencing. Some dealers do use this as a tactic with an owner they feel is insisting on a problem when the dealer says there is no problem. Otherwise... they will literally get run in circles by owners over every little perceived issue.. real or imagined.

Reality Check: if you cannot repeat the event or issue to the dealer, how can they confirm it? If the vehicle is not presenting even a single alert light or message, and there are not OBDII stored error codes... then it is reasonable to conclude the vehicle is working properly and that your reported odor is not directly vehicle related.. in other words... could be fuel or contamination in the fuel... which is the owners liability, not the dealers.

SO...... bring them proof in the form of videos, or error codes, or instrument lights lit, or just the vehicle while it is acting up... and a good dealer will have a service tech ride and inspect with you to confirm what you are reporting.

I recognize your issue is odor related.. so that limits what you can demonstrate to the dealer. If it was your engine malfunctioning, or the cat converter not working correctly, or any one of the other 200+ monitored and sensor driving functions in the vehicle you can bet the vehicle would be lighting up your instrument panel.. not to mention OBDII error codes getting logged. Since you literally have no alert lights... it is reasonable to assume you have a properly working engine and exhaust system. Only other thing to check would be if you have any logged error codes on the OBDII bus... which many auto parts stores will be happy to hook up a reader and check for you.

So.. in my view.. this leaves fuel as a prime suspect, which is easily eliminated by simply testing full tanks of fuel from other sources in your community. It could be as simple as you fueled up at a non tier-1 fueling station. Be sure to stick with tier 1 gas suppliers. https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts