Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2007 CRV, 49K miles. In the dealer on Thursday for battery issue, 2.5yr old battery. Had the brakes looked at - no concerns, but we like to keep track of pad wear since we drive a lot of hills. We knew of alignment prob, and need for new tires. But didn't have that work done at the dealer, as we didn't want the Contis they offer. Some other regular maintenance was performed: air cleaner element and replace brake fluid. Sunday afternoon we see leaking under the car on the ground, near front suspension, clear oil (uh oh). Today (Tues) was appointment for new tires and alignment. They say the fluid is a leaking front strut. Suspicious husband finds it curious that this occurs 3 days after in the shop, with no prior indication, and no mention after multi-point inspection So my questions are:

1) Do struts start to leak "suddenly" such that it drips under vehicle? So that dealer would not have detected something 3 days prior?

2) Any chance the repairs on Thursday did something to hasten this problem?

3) We have extended warranty. Any hope struts at 49K will be covered? I've looked around on the internet, and I'm pretty sure the answer is NO. And - we live in a city with rough roads. The dealer will know this. We do a lot of city driving.

4) Dealer is a bit cheaper for some things than my private mechanic. But I trust my mechanic more. Given the extended warranty is in place until April 2015, should we go to the dealer for repair. BTW - I know we don't have to. We've had maintenance done at dealer and my mechanic for this vehicle since we bought in new in 2007. Just wondering if the type of repair means the dealer is the more prudent option. I have shopped price yet.
Thanks much

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I personally have never seen a shock or strut at the early stages leak like you describe. Typically they seep...slowly.
You mention a brake fluid change, depending on how it was done, brake fluid could have squirted onto the strut and give the appearance of a leak. It would be clear (mostly) fluid.

I would get a can of brake clean, clean the strut off and watch it for a few days.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hm, that's weird. Struts usually don't leak like what you describe. They kind of just stain or seep like 13crvexlkc said. I would make sure they didn't spill a bunch of brake fluid every where and didn't just clean it up. Did they "replace" the oil or did they just "top it off" ? There is a difference because when I "replace" the oil, I drain it from all the calipers basically flushing the whole system. That's the way to get it clean. IF they did that, perhaps they may have not tightened the drain plug on your calipers and when you step on the brakes, it squirts out. Do your brakes feel different? Loose or too soft?

On the other hand, your V is 50k miles and struts usually start wearing out by then, especially rough road conditions as you say. But I would take it back to the dealer and tell them you saw leaks after they touched it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok - more investigation on our part. moving the car, looking underneath, flashlight, etc. The leak is not near the tires. It is center, back of engine. Not oily - I'm pretty sure condensation. Not real clear why we are seeing more now than before…Are just looking for it? Or is it really different? Will monitor

Strut - thanks for the advice. Sounds like cleaning and monitoring for seepage is the way to go - to confirm before doing repair.

When it rains it pours - so the weak battery isn't root cause on why it didn't start last week. Happened again today. Had to crank it 3 times in front of the house to get it started. and then…Ouch! Died while driving - down hill! No brakes until shifted to neutral. And then, restart. I would guess the electrical issue is something else. Some scouting on this forum, and there is a fairly long list of possibilities. oh joy.

does Honda recommend new plugs, wires, hoses, belts at 7 years? Dealer tried to sell us that last week. Hard to swallow with 49K miles only - my private mechanic points to 110K for a major service like that. And yet, here we are with this problem.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
7 years for rubber parts is pushing it in my book.
When it comes to things like that it's always a time/mileage thing.
Spark plugs, no.
Wires, maybe.
Hoses and belts, probably.
Even with only 49k on them.
How old are the tires?
If original, they'd be the first thing I'd change.

·
Registered
139 Posts
49K miles seems a bit young to be changing struts unless it happens to be the curb side of the car that takes all the beating from potholes, I just replaced mineall the way around................ mileage 175k.......................I think I would be looking for a second opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok - more investigation on our part. moving the car, looking underneath, flashlight, etc. The leak is not near the tires. It is center, back of engine. Not oily - I'm pretty sure condensation. Not real clear why we are seeing more now than before…Are just looking for it? Or is it really different? Will monitor

Strut - thanks for the advice. Sounds like cleaning and monitoring for seepage is the way to go - to confirm before doing repair.

When it rains it pours - so the weak battery isn't root cause on why it didn't start last week. Happened again today. Had to crank it 3 times in front of the house to get it started. and then…Ouch! Died while driving - down hill! No brakes until shifted to neutral. And then, restart. I would guess the electrical issue is something else. Some scouting on this forum, and there is a fairly long list of possibilities. oh joy.

does Honda recommend new plugs, wires, hoses, belts at 7 years? Dealer tried to sell us that last week. Hard to swallow with 49K miles only - my private mechanic points to 110K for a major service like that. And yet, here we are with this problem.
Phew thats a list of issues. I would try a tune up if its that hard to start up. plugs, wires, cap/rotor. Might be cheap plugs in there? I use NGK Iridium. A basic tune up usually fixes start up issues. If not, I would start looking possible fuel issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts