Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My CRV is loading up a bunch of repairs all at once and I am looking for some advice... After correcting a check Engine light, I have also learned my belts need to be replaced and my struts need to be replaced. Do you have any advice on the following?

Do I need to replace the whole assembly or can I do just the struts?

Do I need to replace all four or can I do just the front?

Any other advice for quality repair while still savings some money? I am working with a local repair shop but am open to shopping around as well.

FYI - My 1998 CRV has about 167000 miles on it. I love it and would like to keep it and in good shape! but I'd rather not pay a few thousand in repairs...

Thanks! Teresa

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It's more cost effective to replace the whole Assembly for the struts. Be sure you replace them by the pair per Axle. The Monroe Quick Struts is a complete set with Springs & Strut mount included. I've installed many of them with Success. Usually the front Struts goes bad 1st. Did they say what belts needed replacing? Is it the timing belts or the drive belts. Also be sure to have the engine valve lash adjusted to prevent problems in the future. Let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yes it's the drive belts. I will also check on the engine valve lash adjustment. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you do not have a QUALITY strut compressor or access to one I would NOT attempt to swap just the strut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts