Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.... I need to replace the front and rear Strut/Springs on my 2007 CRV.
I'm inclined to go with KYB, does anyone have any thoughts on what brand "works best" on a high mileage (190K) great ride.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice on this subject.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Theres another thread on here saying how kyb has forced a few users to pull right while driving.
Check around for it

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello all.... I need to replace the front and rear Strut/Springs on my 2007 CRV.
I'm inclined to go with KYB, does anyone have any thoughts on what brand "works best" on a high mileage (190K) great ride.
Thanks in advance for any help and advice on this subject.
In the fall of 2016, I replaced all my 2008 CR-V [147K] struts with KYBs. Did a write-up here, but in the change to the new format, the post was lost.

Had no problems with directionality. The KYBs did improve ride handling.

Would make the following recommendations when you do this:
1. Use your phone or tablet to take pictures once you remove the tires - that way you'll have a reference if something doesn't easily go back together.
2. While you are replacing the struts, go ahead & replace the sway bar bushings & all linkages. Once the wheel & struts are removed, replacing these is very easy. Can even do this while shop is replacing the shocks.
3. As KYB doesn't make assembled struts, save yourself the dangers and get a shop to compress the springs & replace with new shocks.
4. When replacing the rear struts, go ahead & loosen the bolt attaching the trailing arm with the chassis. It will make reassembling things easier.
5. Might think about replacing solid rear camber arms with adjustable ones. Check YouTube for videos on how to do this. Again, easier to do with the wheels & struts removed.
6. After reassembling everything, & rotating the tires, get a good 4-wheel alignment done ASAP.

Good luck with what you have planned.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Did a write-up here, but in the change to the new format, the post was lost.
Click the three menu 'dots' next to your avatar, and go to Advanced Search. You should be able to find your old Topic or post. Then you can post a Link. :giggle:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Click the three menu 'dots' next to your avatar, and go to Advanced Search. You should be able to find your old Topic or post. Then you can post a Link. :giggle:
Thanks for the advice Carbuff2. 👍

Found the post. Here it is: https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/2008-brake-suspension-work.96242/#post-615730

Only change to original post would be #5. My new post regarding taking the old struts to a shop and having them compress the springs with their equipment is by far the safest way to replace the shocks, unless of course you can buy completely new struts. Pretty sure that at the time of my replacement, fully assembled KYB struts were not available. To be honest, compressing the springs was the most nerve-wracking part of the whole procedure.

Just did some further investigations regarding KYB strut assemblies. Tire Rack website does list KYB strut assemblies for all 4 wheels - https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?autoMake=Honda&autoModel=CRV+EX&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=2wd&make=KYB&model=Strut-Plus+Assembly&group=Strut-Plus+Assembly&cat=Shocks#RatingsReviews.

Not sure what your budget is or your knuckle-busting experience is. If I had to do my 2008 strut replacement all over again, I would go the fully assembled route. Best guess is that it should take you not longer than an hour per wheel to complete using new completed strut assemblies.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yep, go with the KYB Ready Struts, complete with spring and hardware. That hardware usually needs to be replaced anyways, and springs sag over time. These are a dead simple DIY job. I was very disappointed in the Monroe Quick Struts--the fronts were noisy in various ways after replacing the original struts. I replaced my fronts a second time with the KYBs--nice ride quality, and dead quiet. (No clunks when turning the steering wheel, no knocking over bumps...the brand new Monroes were still noisy! And I had replaced them in both of our '09s within a month of each other.)

I do have spring compressors here, but they can be a little clumsy to work with.

I can do front struts on both sides in 45 minutes. But that is only if the sway bar links are easily removed. If not, there is time needed to get the old ones off. (I usually cut them off with a metal sawz-all or metal cutting wheel, as they are usually too rusted on to be removed via loosening the nut.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts