Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently upgraded the front and rear speakers of my 2019 CRV to Infinity Refence 6520cx speakers because the stock sound was possibly the worst sounding of any car I've owned the past 20 years I am now able to enjoy clean, detailed, dynamic audio on the daily commute.
Now I'm thinking I would like to add an under seat subwoofer to enhance the sound even more BUT I'm kinda put off by having to disconnect the ANC functionality on what essentially is a brand new car.
My question is this - In other countries (not Australia) there are model variants that have a factory installed subwoofer. How does Honda get around the ANC induced noise issues with these vehicles that have a stock subwoofer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wanted to know the same thing, how was it solved in stock subwoofer installs?

btw, how does the speaker upgrade sound?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Having recently upgraded the front and rear speakers of my 2019 CRV to Infinity Refence 6520cx speakers because the stock sound was possibly the worst sounding of any car I've owned the past 20 years I am now able to enjoy clean, detailed, dynamic audio on the daily commute.
Now I'm thinking I would like to add an under seat subwoofer to enhance the sound even more BUT I'm kinda put off by having to disconnect the ANC functionality on what essentially is a brand new car.
My question is this - In other countries (not Australia) there are model variants that have a factory installed subwoofer. How does Honda get around the ANC induced noise issues with these vehicles that have a stock subwoofer?
Hello,

There is a long answer (very long) or short one.

We'll go short. Basically and simplistically ANC works under the premise of producing an inverse sound wave to counter the unwanted sound waves in the cabin (the specific noise the engineers are targeting).

Each trims acoustics and audio systems quality are mapped and the ANC unit is tuned for that trim.

If speakers are replaced with non-factory or additional speakers are added, this tonal balance MIGHT be upset, and the ANC MIGHT produce a "Booming" effect.

The booming effect generally happens because the ANC injects the inverse sound wave and "listens" to the results thru the ANC microphone. If it doesn't "hear" what it wants, it cranks the inverse sound up and listens again. If it still doesn't like what it hears, it cranks it up again and so on until it's in an "open loop" meaning its maxed out, but you would hear it as a booming sound.

I would suggest you try your upgrade and see what happens. If you get the "booming", open the driver door (this cancels ANC) to see if it stops. If so, unplug the ANC unit if you wish.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

SmartSelect_20191122-023232_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20191122-023646_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20191122-023638_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20191122-023232_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

There is a long answer (very long) or short one.

We'll go short. Basically and simplistically ANC works under the premise of producing an inverse sound wave to counter the unwanted sound waves in the cabin (the specific noise the engineers are targeting).

Each trims acoustics and audio systems quality are mapped and the ANC unit is tuned for that trim.

If speakers are replaced with non-factory or additional speakers are added, this tonal balance MIGHT be upset, and the ANC MIGHT produce a "Booming" effect.

The booming effect generally happens because the ANC injects the inverse sound wave and "listens" to the results thru the ANC microphone. If it doesn't "hear" what it wants, it cranks the inverse sound up and listens again. If it still doesn't like what it hears, it cranks it up again and so on until it's in an "open loop" meaning its maxed out, but you would hear it as a booming sound.

I would suggest you try your upgrade and see what happens. If you get the "booming", open the driver door (this cancels ANC) to see if it stops. If so, unplug the ANC unit if you wish.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

View attachment 136346 View attachment 136347 View attachment 136348

View attachment 136346
Where is the plug to disconnect the ANC located if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I started this thread I went ahead and installed an Alpine PWE S8 under-seat sub-woofer and left the ANC connected without any problems. Don't know if I got lucky or not but no sign of the problems others have noted. Along with upgrading all door speakers the audio system finally now sounds 500% better than the stock system with an outlay of around $500. Money well spent IMO.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree--Honda's sound systems (aside from a handful of systems in the upmarket Acuras) are routinely nasty. But it's all about economy--my '97 had inexpensive Pioneer speakers as original equipment. Not sure what was in my '09 when I took them out. The under-seat box that made some thumping sounds, by any stretch of the audio imagination, was not a subwoofer. Likewise, the system in our '99 Acura TL was that Bose garbage. I was about to rip it out, when it got drowned in a flood.

I ended up using Morel speakers in my '09, but am thinking of bumping those up to some Focal speakers. I already have a Focal subwoofer in the rear; had to import it from France (where Focal's headquarters is at) since Crutchfield wanted twice as much money for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I started this thread I went ahead and installed an Alpine PWE S8 under-seat sub-woofer and left the ANC connected without any problems. Don't know if I got lucky or not but no sign of the problems others have noted. Along with upgrading all door speakers the audio system finally now sounds 500% better than the stock system with an outlay of around $500. Money well spent IMO.
Hi! I also have a 2019 EXL and just wondering if this system is still performing well? I just got 2 pairs of Infinity Refence 6520cx based on your post and previous experience with infinity but have not installed them yet. Did you notice any change in ANC after just replacing the door speakers? Did the tweaters fit ok? Are you using the stock head or did you install an amp? I was thinking about getting an under the seat sub, probably an infinity basslink. Have you had any issues with ANC and the sub after evaluating it for a few months? Any other advice or comments would be appreciated! I do wonder if the software/hardware has changed for the 2019 since your not getting the feedback...it could also be that you're system doesn't have exagerated bass from the sub and that's what the culprit is.

Thanks!

t

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi! I also have a 2019 EXL and just wondering if this system is still performing well? I just got 2 pairs of Infinity Refence 6520cx based on your post and previous experience with infinity but have not installed them yet. Did you notice any change in ANC after just replacing the door speakers? Did the tweaters fit ok? Are you using the stock head or did you install an amp? I was thinking about getting an under the seat sub, probably an infinity basslink. Have you had any issues with ANC and the sub after evaluating it for a few months? Any other advice or comments would be appreciated! I do wonder if the software/hardware has changed for the 2019 since your not getting the feedback...it could also be that you're system doesn't have exagerated bass from the sub and that's what the culprit is.

Thanks!

t
Hi - No problems with ANC after replacing the door speakers/tweeters on their own or later when I installed the underseat sub-woofer. The bass from the Alpine SW8 can be enough at times to 'shake your kidneys' depending on the recording being played. Still happy with the system and consider it money well spent especially since I get a good deal on both the Infinity speakers and later on the Alpine sub. The only decision you will need to make when installing the Infinity crossovers is whether you leave the switch in the 0 or +3db setting for the tweeters. I ended up going +3db in the front and 0db for the rear tweeters as I didn't want to have the sound appearing to come from the rear when driving the car. (high frequencies being more directional than low frequencies). The Infinity speakers are bright speakers though so that is something to consider.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts