Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Gonna get my CRV 2017 EX tomorrow and I wonder if we can install a custom subwoofer in the EX model. I know that touring have one integrated on the back but is it possible to install a custom subwoofer with the actual Honda AMP like a JBL ?
I really want a sub in my new car :)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not sure if able to install is same location as Touring, you would need a interior panel from a Touring model. However, I think there is plenty of room to install sub and amp or an all in one sub below the rear deck in the spare tire well. I know people that used to do this in Miatas. I'm just not sure if the cover would muffle sound too much. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
You're moving a lot of air with a subwoofer, so it would probably be lifting and rattling the cover up quite a bit if you had the volume up a bit. Also, I could be wrong, but I doubt that Honda would supply an amp with subwoofer output for a vehicle without a sub.

·
Registered
102 Posts
MaxCrv2017, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by using a Honda Amp, but you should check out this other thread. Scino has upgraded all of thespeakers, which included adding a subwoofer, while keeping the stock Honda head unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MaxCrv2017, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by using a Honda Amp, but you should check out this other thread. Scino has upgraded all of thespeakers, which included adding a subwoofer, while keeping the stock Honda head unit.
yeah that's exactly it, want to keep the honda head unit and plug in a subwoofer to get some base.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put an Infinity BassLink in my old Si while using the stock headunit, so it's def possible to utilize your existing headunit

·
Registered
622 Posts
Most of newer cars now have preamp outputs on the head unit. I did it on a 2015 Nissan Frontier truck. I don't really think the factory spkrs are that bad, just underpowered. You could add a 5 channel amp for the spkrs and a sub, but I think something like the Infinity Basslink would be better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Most new cars, but unfortunateley doesnt mean all or the Honda will have preamp outputs in the back of the headunit. If not that will make life easier for getting the most optimal installation on a clean output.

I have my doubts the honda does though, but hopefull someone can confirm.

To the OP, no way any aftermarket sub setup will be able to be powered stock honda amp. No one has even confirmed and its location if there is an external amp that powers the speakers anyways. and if there is, it will just be for the speakers and wont have any extra to power a sub. Even if you had a touring with the built in sub and there was an external amp to power that stock sub. i bet that sub is weak compared to an aftermarket amp which usually will require a lot more RMS wats to power it sufficiently.

So basically you need to install it like how its alwas been installed.

It might be more trouble than its worth to risk seeing if there is a preamp output on the stock headunit. Your gonna rip apart the center dash to HOPE there will be. and even if there is, then youll have to run rca ouput from the front all the way to where i assume you will mount the amp in the back. I would usaully see if i can mount the amp under a seat.

regardless youll need to run a new thick gauge power wire straight to the battery to the amp, and somehow a remote turn on wire to something that will turn on the amp for when the stereo/car is on, or wire it to a switch.

But its just a signal you need for a subwoofer, i would just find a high level line converter on ebay/amazon 10-20 bucks. tap the rear speaker or something to give you the signal you need for your aftermarket amp.

As someone said they do have the all in one buiilt in solution like the basslink. the original basslink, not the newer ones. i thinkt he original basslink was awesome but YMMV on if you will like it. it doesnt match a true sub in ported ported or sealed box in terms of loudness, but its good enough. cleaner an more compact.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'll bet if you check, Crutchfield will know about the preamps. On their site they have already pulled a head unit out as well as spkrs. These guys are always thorough on installs. If I go with a sub, it would probably be Kicker, Kenwood, or Rockford. All have compact D class powered subs that will fit under seats or in spare tire well. I think under rear seats would fit but some here have concerns with the rear seat folded forward. I'll probably wait until some others have done the install to see what shakes out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
You're moving a lot of air with a subwoofer, so it would probably be lifting and rattling the cover up quite a bit if you had the volume up a bit. Also, I could be wrong, but I doubt that Honda would supply an amp with subwoofer output for a vehicle without a sub.
Both Nissan and Mazda put their subwoofer in the spare tire wheel itself. This is on their SUVs. Not sure how it sounds but if you have anything with weight on the shelf it would counteract the vibrations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The sound quality of the factory audio system is probably my only gripe about the car. It sounds the same as my 19 year old gen 1 CR-V and there is absolutely no bass. I've never driven the touring version so I'm not sure how much better that is. But yeah, I'm totally underwhelmed by the stereo in my 2017 EX.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all,
Gonna get my CRV 2017 EX tomorrow and I wonder if we can install a custom subwoofer in the EX model. I know that touring have one integrated on the back but is it possible to install a custom subwoofer with the actual Honda AMP like a JBL ?
I really want a sub in my new car :)

Thanks in advance
Did you got the SW? Did uou gave any issues with the noise cancelling system?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question I hooked up a system in my 2017 crv with a raptor line out output and when the car is sitting idle the system works no problem but when I drive the subs will go off and trim back on the amp still has power it’s like it’s getting a bad signal

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know people will say this is dumb. But I am okay with it. I priced out the touring panel and empty subwoofer and plan to hide an amp under back seats and run it to a sub in a touring setup. If they fix the dilution problem haha.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I know people will say this is dumb. But I am okay with it. I priced out the touring panel and empty subwoofer and plan to hide an amp under back seats and run it to a sub in a touring setup. If they fix the dilution problem haha.
Good approach. What sub will you get?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
If i do it, I need to measure the interior dimensions of the factory box first. If I was to pick a brand that would be my primary would be earthquake they have awesome low wattage and free air subs if there isn’t much space. Amp would probably be like fosgate or some mass produced low cost alternative to it. With the open cabin it doesn’t need a ton of *ability*. My 03 expedition a monstrous vehicle gave me a nice kick of bass from a basslink. I used to be wanted to be heard 10 miles away but now just a nice bass thump inside is perfect. Damn I sound like an old man :-( I’m in my 30s still hahaha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can any one tell me what line out converter I need the fierce one I’m useing works fine but when you drive the system starts going crazy do I have the wrong converter

·
Registered
511 Posts
Can any one tell me what line out converter I need the fierce one I’m useing works fine but when you drive the system starts going crazy do I have the wrong converter
I'm using the PAC SNI15 line output converter and have had no problems with it since it was installed nearly one year ago.
The converter connects to a JL Audio XD 400/4v2 amp and the fronts go to a pair of JL Audio C5 650 components in the front doors. The rear channels go to a 10" JL Audio sub in a ported box in the rear. I do not use the rear door speakers. This system sounds great to my ears and I do love the sound of JL Audio speakers and have been using them for nearly 15 years in all my vehicles. The ANC was disconnected at the time of the system installation. I did not do the installation though I've generally done all my vehicle's installs since my first car back in '73. I let the kids do the work for me now hehehe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts