Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving 2000 CRV from Canada to Mexico the check engine light came on. Got a scope reading, the temperature sensor was defective. I had it replaced. Car ran well but was using gas. Usually get 530 km.per tank, down to around 450 or less. Changed fuel, air filters. New spark plugs. Improved slightly but not much. Another scope reading showed no codes. Wasn't carrying very much weight, 2 passengers and a bike on the roof. Not enough to make that much difference. Without a code I'm stuck. Anyone got any idea?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Are you using the recommended NGK 4291 ZFR6F-11 V-Power Plug? If you are using another brand, it 'might' be causing the lower mpg.
Try a can of SeaFoam or Chevron Techron Concentrate-plus in your gas tank according to directions.

It could also be the gasoline (winter blend, etc) that lowered your mpg.

Using an OBD2 reader in real time may give you more clues. If you have a smartphone, etc you can buy a reader pretty cheaply ($25 or so) that will connect to your smartphone, laptop, etc.
Very useful item, esp in higher mileage vehicles. I use one in real time and it cost around $70.
It is an Ultra-Gauge and it was a damn good investment for me.
Have fun in Mexico!!

Buffalo4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you using the recommended NGK 4291 ZFR6F-11 V-Power Plug? If you are using another brand, it 'might' be causing the lower mpg.
Try a can of SeaFoam or Chevron Techron Concentrate-plus in your gas tank according to directions.

It could also be the gasoline (winter blend, etc) that lowered your mpg.

Using an OBD2 reader in real time may give you more clues. If you have a smartphone, etc you can buy a reader pretty cheaply ($25 or so) that will connect to your smartphone, laptop, etc.
Very useful item, esp in higher mileage vehicles. I use one in real time and it cost around $70.
It is an Ultra-Gauge and it was a damn good investment for me.
Have fun in Mexico!!

Buffalo4
Thanks for the reply. Now I'm looking for an OBD2 scanner. Groupon has one for 12.99! But won't ship to Canada. I'm searching around here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts