Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has suddenly lost data connection with the system. I have restarted, replaced the charging/data cable, but no luck. When I plug it in, there is no "loading" message and no Android Auto option on the dashboard, only Smartphone Connection. When I try that, it says make sure your phone cable is plugged into the USB socket with the smartphone icon on the lid. It is plugged into that socket. I thought maybe the USB socket was bad, but the phone is charging, so at least that is working.
any suggestions?
thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
Whats funny is that you can download google maps onto your headunit and just use that
Let's be clear, and head unit hack that requires the installation of Google play services will only create problems and limitations. The AA version of maps is by far superior. It was over aggressive hacking such has this that caused people to irresponsibly brick the head unit and then take it to Honda under warranty. Honda had to issue a service news article alerting stores to look out for hacked head units when diagnosing problems with it

That said, there are some benefits associated with a simpler HondaHack installation without Google play services, and we have a whole thread associated with it.

Tldr, the solution to problems with Android auto connectivity is not hacking the head unit; it's solving the connectivity problem as it is intermittent and fairly rare since the software updates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let's be clear, and head unit hack that requires the installation of Google play services will only create problems and limitations. The AA version of maps is by far superior. It was over aggressive hacking such has this that caused people to irresponsibly brick the head unit and then take it to Honda under warranty. Honda had to issue a service news article alerting stores to look out for hacked head units when diagnosing problems with it

That said, there are some benefits associated with a simpler HondaHack installation without Google play services, and we have a whole thread associated with it.

Tldr, the solution to problems with Android auto connectivity is not hacking the head unit; it's solving the connectivity problem as it is intermittent and fairly rare since the software updates.
Who mentioned hacking? I did not imply a hack. But thanks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Who mentioned hacking? I did not imply a hack. But thanks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Dino, implicitly, because you have to install an app literally called HondaHack to install anything on the head unit, including Google maps. While many have successfully installed Honda Hack, Google maps requires installing a bunch of extra hacky stuff that most have reported makes the HU unusable. I should have been more clear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's deep in the settings but when this happened to my wife's '18, I was able to discover that android auto had been disabled for all phones saved in the system. Without us doing anything. She was driving down the highway and AA just quit. Let me know if you can't find it and I will try to figure out how I got there before.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I for one would really appreciate your time with trying to find how you got to that setting.
Cuz I can't seem to find it anywhere on my 2018 CR-V touring.

Much obliged for your efforts on my behalf.

Ray in Wisconsin
I have this exact same problem with my 18 Touring and a Galaxy S21+. It just stopped working. I know Android Auto is working on the phone because if I try to load Google Maps, the phone tells me it can't while AA is running. Also, AA is native on the S21, nothing to install any more. Also, when I plug in the phone, it starts loading for about 2 seconds, then quits. This started about 2 days ago, after working well since we got the car in Aug 2018. My 1.0 A USB port has died, and I'm wondering if the 1.5A is also on the way out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
New post to add to the pile.

MY AA auto died - wouldn't sync. 2017 CR-V touring (w/Nav for my wife, sigh). 3 Galaxy S10s in the family. Tried with all, uninstalled/re-installed AA, but it's running Android 11 now - so native. Yes, I tried out the AA for phones, but that's now a sock-over-a-sock I believe. Tried new cables, original Samsung cables, with all other phones and an iPhone. Nada. Symptoms are - it charges but does not data sync. Cleaned the port with air, alcohol, micro screwdrivers. No change.

I suspected it's a cable (hardware) issue - or the head unit.

I researched a TON, eventually opened the console and removed the head-unit, and tested with a NEW cable. The data port cable is Honda part 39116-TLB-A01 by the way after a lot of research and a guess (which was correct, thankfully). YesI checked all of the settings and tried it with an OLD Galaxy 7, and rebooted the head unit, deleted all prior synced devices. Nada. Won't recognize and try to sync with the phones.

I unplugged the cable from the head unit, tested - and yes, dead - just to test that the port in the head unit was running to the left-hand USB port in the console.

I tested with the new USB data cable (not a pigtail plugged into the console but the actual data cable running from the console to the head unit) - same issue, with multiple pigtail cables and phones. I wanted to swap the other cable from port 2 in the console but the cables have differing terminations and they can't plug into each others ports in the back of the head unit. Probably a voltage difference or something but the pinouts look the same.

At this point, I'm thinking it's the head unit - or some weird incompatibility maybe with my current Android version, but since it's the same on 3 phones - I'm down to head unit hardware or software issue.

BTW - I believe it's a Mitsubishi NR-000x unit, as the ports are identical to the diagrams below, and I found a very good YouTube on removing the console and head unit. Very simple. Just get some trim tools (I have a kit from Amazon). From the rear, the data port is the lowest-right port.

So with all that - Any suggestions? I could replace the head unit but I'm still surprised it failed - I did update the maps but that was months ago. I'm out of ideas except for doing a factory reset on my phone. Signs point to a head-unit issue (3 months out of warranty).

One aside:
I use AA constantly for music and maps. Unfortunately no one else in the family does. Hence the pressure to resolve this resides on my own lonely island of tech geekdom. But that heightens the resolve usually, haha.

I'm going to look into whether one of the (still unreleased) AA wireless dongles would work. Probably - since it appears they work on BlueTooth. Still in pre-release I think, however.

Related:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good Friday morning.
I'm new to AA and my Honda so I'm interested in learning as much as I can.
You were able to connect before and now suddenly you can't ?
If your still experiencing the issue I was wondering if I could ask you to look at something on your head unit ?
Specifically, your Honda's list of Android Auto devices.
Is your phone listed ?
If so, what is the status ? (It should be "Enabled".)
Here's how to get to the Android Auto device list on my 2018 Honda CR-V
Home / Settings / Smart Phone / Android Auto / Device List
If it is "Disabled" tap on it and choose the "Enable" option.
Then, try connecting again with your USB cable.

When you have time, please reply with what you found.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good Friday morning.
I'm new to AA and my Honda so I'm interested in learning as much as I can.
You were able to connect before and now suddenly you can't ?
If your still experiencing the issue I was wondering if I could ask you to look at something on your head unit ?
Specifically, your Honda's list of Android Auto devices.
Is your phone listed ?
If so, what is the status ? (It should be "Enabled".)
Here's how to get to the Android Auto device list on my 2018 Honda CR-V
Home / Settings / Smart Phone / Android Auto / Device List
If it is "Disabled" tap on it and choose the "Enable" option.
Then, try connecting again with your USB cable.

When you have time, please reply with what you found.
Yes - my phone was listed, along with some other devices I had connected to the unit previously. I tried to enable each one (except for ones I no longer have). Nothing. Won't sync. I ended up going through each, tried to enable, failed, and deleting each one to clean things up. I may try to find out if I can do a factory reset on the H/U, and try to factory reset my phone. I'm not in a particular hurry at this point to do either. I was hoping it was the USB cable to the H/U (cheap). The H/U is working fine except for AA. At this point I'd be happy if AA Wireless works but that won't ship until next year, and I won't pre-order in case they fold beforehand.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I made note of the things you did (I'm trying to learn as much as I can from other folks with regards to AA).
Recently, I watched a video of a Ford pickup truck owner (a new one) who was unable to connect to HIS radio from his phone.
He took it to his dealer and they could figure out how to do it.
It just plain wouldn't connect.
So, on his own, he performed a radio (H,U, / Infotainment system, whatever) reset and he claimed (in the video) that the reset was the key.
After performing one, his phone was able to connect to his H.U. via AA.

So, it SOUNDS, at least to me, like, you might be on to something with your "reset" thoughts.
I have performed the "soft" reset on my 2018 CRV (That's the first example in the video link below) quite a few times and have never lost anything,
I have performed the factory reset (with a Honda Link technician on the phone), when I couldn't get Honda Link to connect and work.
And THAT reset did indeed return everything back to default settings (in my case).
I lost all paired devices, presets radio stations, colors, and probably more. (I can't remember any more.)
But the procedure DID let me get Honda link running.

The following are probably not new to you, but in case you need a refresher:
Factory Data reset is not soft boot honda crv - YouTube

How to perform Factory Reset on Android smartphone?

Good luck to you and when you can post back if you manager to get things work. (And how you did it.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I made note of the things you did (I'm trying to learn as much as I can from other folks with regards to AA).
Recently, I watched a video of a Ford pickup truck owner (a new one) who was unable to connect to HIS radio from his phone.
He took it to his dealer and they could figure out how to do it.
It just plain wouldn't connect.
So, on his own, he performed a radio (H,U, / Infotainment system, whatever) reset and he claimed (in the video) that the reset was the key.
After performing one, his phone was able to connect to his H.U. via AA.

So, it SOUNDS, at least to me, like, you might be on to something with your "reset" thoughts.
I have performed the "soft" reset on my 2018 CRV (That's the first example in the video link below) quite a few times and have never lost anything,
I have performed the factory reset (with a Honda Link technician on the phone), when I couldn't get Honda Link to connect and work.
And THAT reset did indeed return everything back to default settings (in my case).
I lost all paired devices, presets radio stations, colors, and probably more. (I can't remember any more.)
But the procedure DID let me get Honda link running.

The following are probably not new to you, but in case you need a refresher:
Factory Data reset is not soft boot honda crv - YouTube

How to perform Factory Reset on Android smartphone?

Good luck to you and when you can post back if you manager to get things work. (And how you did it.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.