Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new here and maybe I missed it. I am seeing a lot of Hondas with high miles, but I am not seeing much for what maintenance is recommended at different miles. This seems easy to find for CRVs under 120,000 but I have a 2002 with 168,000 miles and I want to do my best to get another 50,000 - 75,000 out of it. Anyone have any recommendations for what I should look for as I get to 170,000, so far this is my list:
  • Break Fluid
  • Power Steering Fluid
  • Automation Transmission Fluid - Honda Dual Pump Fluid
  • Engine Coolant Level - Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2
  • Replace Motor Mounts
  • Look at Drive Belt
  • Fuses
  • Filters
I do have some issues currently with the car, that if you have an idea of what is wrong I'd love to here!
  • My RPM Gauge does not work, it just kinda sits at 1,000 and sometimes seems like it wants to go higher
  • My cruise control works but randomly shuts off and then sometimes tries to come back on... whiplash is fun
  • There seems to be some excessive oil on the passenger side of the vehicle. I am not sure if that is normal for the mileage or normal in general
I appreciate all of the help

·
Registered
173 Posts
break = brake. Brake fluid needs to be changed every 3 years regardless of mileage, and just sucking it out of the master cylinder doesn't qualify.

Changing the power steering fluid is optional. Put it at the bottom of your list.

Automatic Transmission Fluid is NOT Dual Pump Fluid, they are two completely different things. In the transmission, you want only ATF, which is Honda's DW-1. The Dual Pump Fluid is for the rear differential (at least on later CR-V's, maybe yours is different).

Fuses? Don't bother. They either work or they don't.

Replace motor mounts - why?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
break = brake. Brake fluid needs to be changed every 3 years regardless of mileage, and just sucking it out of the master cylinder doesn't qualify.

Changing the power steering fluid is optional. Put it at the bottom of your list.

Automatic Transmission Fluid is NOT Dual Pump Fluid, they are two completely different things. In the transmission, you want only ATF, which is Honda's DW-1. The Dual Pump Fluid is for the rear differential (at least on later CR-V's, maybe yours is different).

Thanks! Good catch on the break/brake lol.

Ill move the power steering to the bottom. The reason for the motor mounts is because there is a rumble when I accelerate, from what I read online (could be wrong) that could be from the motor mount (along with other things)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There seems to be some excessive oil on the passenger side of the vehicle. I am not sure if that is normal for the mileage or normal in general
Is the oil on the driveway underneath, or is it just the one side of the engine that is covered in oil? Either way, it could be gaskets. The rubber cylinder head cover gasket tends to harden over time, and a gasket kit will have a new cover gasket as well as new seals for the spark plug tubes (which prevents oil from filling the spark plug wells). Also, I'm certain the VTEC actuator solenoid is on that side of the engine, located in the rear, and that gasket is also known to leak.

There is a chance the camshaft or crankshaft seals are leaking on the front (the pulley side) of the engine, but that is very rare. In fact, if they are not leaking, it is best to leave them alone and not replace them.

I've had Honda engines go at least 150k miles with a dry engine, and the leaks are fairly easy to fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the oil on the driveway underneath, or is it just the one side of the engine that is covered in oil? Either way, it could be gaskets. The rubber cylinder head cover gasket tends to harden over time, and a gasket kit will have a new cover gasket as well as new seals for the spark plug tubes (which prevents oil from filling the spark plug wells). Also, I'm certain the VTEC actuator solenoid is on that side of the engine, located in the rear, and that gasket is also known to leak.

View attachment 137429

There is a chance the camshaft or crankshaft seals are leaking on the front (the pulley side) of the engine, but that is very rare. In fact, if they are not leaking, it is best to leave them alone and not replace them.

I've had Honda engines go at least 150k miles with a dry engine, and the leaks are fairly easy to fix.
Nothing seems to be on the drive way yet I’ll look into the gaskets thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
8,086 Posts
Another common oil leak on Gen2s is the oil pressure sender, upper RH side of engine. If you replace it buy OEM.

You can find the Service Schedule for Gen2 at the Honda Ownerlink. The schedule goes up to 100K miles, just 'double' it after that.

Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

Don't forget the intervals MONTHS or MILES. So (for example) you shouldn't just be checking coolant, you SHOULD do a drain & fill...and after the first D&F, the interval is cut in half (5yrs/50K miles).

The cruise control issue might be a loose CC switch on the brake pedal arm. Somebody could have kicked it loose, or maybe the pedal return spring is weak. But it shouldn't 'try to come back on' by itself if that is the issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
For what it's worth, I had to replace the motor mounts three times on a 2000 Honda Accord V6 in 290,000 miles. I'd check the motor mounts just to be safe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
my schedule is:

oil and filter change 10k
trans fluid 30k
air filter 30k
cabin filter 30k
rear diff fluid 30k
coolant 30k
drive belt 100k
valve adjustment 100k
power steering 100k
brake fluid 2 years

motor mounts for me are like suspension bushings and shocks, only when needed.

Our CRV is currently at 295k, and our Element is at 330k. of Course, non “maintenance“ items do break along the way, they’re just fixed as they happen.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As for an oil leak on the passenger side... I can think potential sites: oil filter, oil pressure sensor switch, vtec solenoid, timing chain cover.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's amazing mileage on both vehicles, ajchien. What year and model
is your CR-V?

my schedule is:

oil and filter change 10k
trans fluid 30k
air filter 30k
cabin filter 30k
rear diff fluid 30k
coolant 30k
drive belt 100k
valve adjustment 100k
power steering 100k
brake fluid 2 years

motor mounts for me are like suspension bushings and shocks, only when needed.

Our CRV is currently at 295k, and our Element is at 330k. of Course, non “maintenance“ items do break along the way, they’re just fixed as they happen.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's amazing mileage on both vehicles, ajchien. What year and model
is your CR-V?
Both the CRV EX AWD and Element EX 2WD w side air bags are 2003.

Certainly both cars haven’t been ”perfect”. I think they’ve averaged around $500-$600/year for maintenance/repair costs/wear items. They are cars. If you’re willing to spend the time or money, a part or problem can be replaced or fixed. My costs may be lower than average because I do the majority of the work, and have a friend who has access to a lift who can help me out sometimes. Also I live in Southern California. I don’t deal with as much rust as in other parts of the country.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ah, I see! Still, that’s pretty cheap at the price for that kind of mileage!

Both the CRV EX AWD and Element EX 2WD w side air bags are 2003.

Certainly both cars haven’t been ”perfect”. I think they’ve averaged around $500-$600/year for maintenance/repair costs/wear items. They are cars. If you’re willing to spend the time or money, a part or problem can be replaced or fixed. My costs may be lower than average because I do the majority of the work, and have a friend who has access to a lift who can help me out sometimes. Also I live in Southern California. I don’t deal with as much rust as in other parts of the country.

·
Registered
174 Posts
so this is the first time I’ve seen oil and filter Chang at 10k miles, why do you do it at 10k?
with 330k on the element and 296k on the crv, thats about 20k/year on the element and 17k/year on the crv. Roughly 3-4 oil changes between the 2 cars each year. If I did 5k changes that would be 7 oil changes a year. I really don’t feel like doing 7 oil changes in a year. Call it laziness? It’s almost all highway miles in Southern California too. No cold winters, all pavement. Idk, perhaps I should be more picky about the oil. I sort of alternate between syn, syn blend, high mileage, and regular conventional. then there are sometimes there is a time when oil get changed early due to other repairs, like the element just had the timing chain cover off to fix an oil leak - so that was an extra oil change thrown in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello! I am new here and maybe I missed it. I am seeing a lot of Hondas with high miles, but I am not seeing much for what maintenance is recommended at different miles. This seems easy to find for CRVs under 120,000 but I have a 2002 with 168,000 miles and I want to do my best to get another 50,000 - 75,000 out of it. Anyone have any recommendations for what I should look for as I get to 170,000, so far this is my list:
  • Break Fluid
  • Power Steering Fluid
  • Automation Transmission Fluid - Honda Dual Pump Fluid
  • Engine Coolant Level - Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2
  • Replace Motor Mounts
  • Look at Drive Belt
  • Fuses
  • Filters
I do have some issues currently with the car, that if you have an idea of what is wrong I'd love to here!
  • My RPM Gauge does not work, it just kinda sits at 1,000 and sometimes seems like it wants to go higher
  • My cruise control works but randomly shuts off and then sometimes tries to come back on... whiplash is fun
  • There seems to be some excessive oil on the passenger side of the vehicle. I am not sure if that is normal for the mileage or normal in general
I appreciate all of the help
  • Break Fluid - I change mine when I have the brakes done every 110k or so.
  • Power Steering Fluid - changed once at 200k.
  • Automation Transmission Fluid-every 100k
  • Engine Coolant Level - Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2- every 2 years
  • Replace Motor Mounts-never done mine.
  • Look at Drive Belt-serpentine was replaced at 200k.
  • Fuses-never replaced one yet.
  • Filters-oil every 10k when oil is changed. Engine and cabin about every 50k.
    20200129_161028.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just over 250K on our 2004 EX (purchased at 5K) and other than tires and batteries and brake pads, have only replaced the starter once, changed rear dff fluid twice and one motor mount ( dealer said was bad when changing airbag) but it looked fine. Serp belt 3 times now, water pump once, must have changed rotors once, brake fluid then, probably on second set of plugs. Only ever been to the dealer except for air bag recall. Never did cabin filter, on third windshield, now changing oil every 8-10k, air filter when dirty. Runs better and certainly better constructed than our 2014 EX and we often pull a small trailer with a boat or lumber on it. While not spotless, no oil leaks worth worrying about. I might go looking for another old one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda put out a Service Bulletin 04-070, on November 19 2004, regarding 'Noise or vibration when accelerating from a stop'. Probable cause is the transmission mount limiter tabs are out of position. This may be your problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think Honda recommends that owners change the rear differential fluid every 30,000 miles, so you would be about six differential-fluid changes shy of that recommendation, but it's obviously worked for you, so more power to you.

I have just over 250K on our 2004 EX (purchased at 5K) and other than tires and batteries and brake pads, have only replaced the starter once, changed rear dff fluid twice and one motor mount ( dealer said was bad when changing airbag) but it looked fine. Serp belt 3 times now, water pump once, must have changed rotors once, brake fluid then, probably on second set of plugs. Only ever been to the dealer except for air bag recall. Never did cabin filter, on third windshield, now changing oil every 8-10k, air filter when dirty. Runs better and certainly better constructed than our 2014 EX and we often pull a small trailer with a boat or lumber on it. While not spotless, no oil leaks worth worrying about. I might go looking for another old one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts