Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original tires on my CR-V only lasted 24,000 miles and was replaced with michelin defenders that now has 56,000+ miles on them and need to be replaced.
I always rotate my tires every 5,000 to 7,500 miles and keep them inflated to the MFG suggested PSI.

Do CR-V eat tires or what? It's always driven on blacktop never tows anything. Only thing i can think of is the mountains maybe.

I liked the defenders but they are not cheap and i think there where rated for 90,000 miles.

I need all seasons size 225/65R17.

Any suggestions?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,461 Posts
Sounds as if you get what you pay for.

When you get your new tires, have the alignment checked, and note that you are concerned about premature tire wear. A good shop should be able to tweak the aliognment WITHIN SPEC to maximise wear.

(You didn't mention that the tires were wearing unevenly, but sometimes with frequent rotations, it can be difficult to tell.)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
56k is about right. However a tire's tread wear rating is not given in mileage but it will have a rating of 100, 200, 300, ect. Where a 300 might last 3x longer than a tire rate at 100. However tread wear is not independently tested. The 90k number you provided sounds like a 90k prorated mileage warranty, where the manufacturer will give you some money back on your old tires if you purchase a new set from them. More a marketing thing.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I found this on the Defenders. About 2/3 down the page it talks about the Warranty. Of course the real place to check is with Michelin. You did keep your receipt, which shows the mileage on your odometer when they were installed, right?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have just bought a set of Michelin Cross Climates for my daily driver. Supposedly very long life all-seasons. Also very quiet. We’ll see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds as if you get what you pay for.

When you get your new tires, have the alignment checked, and note that you are concerned about premature tire wear. A good shop should be able to tweak the aliognment WITHIN SPEC to maximise wear.

(You didn't mention that the tires were wearing unevenly, but sometimes with frequent rotations, it can be difficult to tell.)

I always get a alignment with new tires and the wear is even over all four. I just don't know if i should buy them again the price is higher than other tires.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,461 Posts
I always get a alignment with new tires
Sure (good move), but a GOOD alignment shop can set the suspension within specification to reduce the effects of mis-alignment. Unless you mention your issue, they likely will just verify that it is IN SPEC, when a tweak or two will make it better than before.

Our '06 needed an adjustment after 150K miles 'cause the tread was starting to 'feather'. (Likely caused by worn rubber bushings).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The original tires on my CR-V only lasted 24,000 miles and was replaced with michelin defenders that now has 56,000+ miles on them and need to be replaced.
I always rotate my tires every 5,000 to 7,500 miles and keep them inflated to the MFG suggested PSI.

Do CR-V eat tires or what? It's always driven on blacktop never tows anything. Only thing i can think of is the mountains maybe.

I liked the defenders but they are not cheap and i think there where rated for 90,000 miles.

Any suggestions?
If you are getting north of 50,000 miles on Defenders on a compact AWD SUV, you have done well. FWD only will get better mileage generally as the front tires are the traction and the rear tires are rolling only, other then braking. AWD is providing traction of some level on real wheels quite a bit of the time. The Defenders gave you twice the normal life most people see on their OEM tires that came with the vehicle. The real advantage of Defenders is not miles of life, but rather efficiency of rolling (which provides modest improvements in mpg), and tread noise, in my experience.

Traylaw's guidance above is sound.

The 90,000 mile warranty by Michelin is a marketing ploy, much like the warranties on batteries. It is designed to bring you back for another set of tires, on a prorate for remaining life or treadwear. And note that it also comes with a life warranty limit of 6 years. And in fact, AGE has more impact on tire life and treadwear then actual miles. Why? Because as rubber ages, it becomes less pliant, more rigid and hence will tread wear faster as it ages under the same driving conditions. In addition, once you pass half treawear.. tires generally wear even faster as the original treads are less pronounced and you are actually running on more "flat surface" rubber in contact with the road.

Other factors affecting treadwear are road conditions, driving conditions overall (road speed being a notable one), urban driving (all those right and left turns take a toll on a tire), maintaining proper tire pressure, as well as the dynamics of traction control on AWD vehicles, not to mention personal driving habits (like a lot of jackrabbit starts from a stop, being much harder on tires). Which is why there can be no true guarantee of miles to end of life on any tire sold on the market.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are missing my point. The Defenders are around $200 more than a similar tire with similar UTQG.

Did i get extra miles for my extra $200?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I think you are missing my point. The Defenders are around $200 more than a similar tire with similar UTQG.

Did i get extra miles for my extra $200?
Is it only about miles for you? You imply that with this follow-up post.

I ask, because most owners want good reliable tires, with great handling, good ride and noise characteristics, and good life mileage, from a reputable brand.... not just mileage alone. For me personally, mileage is a secondary consideration in tire selection as I want well handling, fairly quiet, reliable tires. I would easily pay $200 more for these features over mileage. That said.. I have always found Defenders to be competitively priced when I am out shopping for tires.

Since you have not stated this tire with "similar UTOG", there is no way to comment about it.

You only presented your experience with the Defenders, a well known tire among CRV owners and generally well liked.

You missed my point --> you seem disappointed in only getting 56K miles on the Defenders, and I responded to that statement with my views on the matter. And no... a well maintained CRV does not chew through tires, but some owners do with their driving habits. You seem to think that if a tire company puts a mileage guarantee on a tire, you will get that mileage. I explained a range of reasons why that is not going to EVER be the case.

Everything I shared in my comment above remains applicable in terms of why tires don't get the "warrantied mileage" for many owners, especially AWD owners. Many owners, of many different vehicles in fact only get around 40-50K miles on Defenders, so your results are actually good.

By all means, if money is your only objective.. go with the cheaper tires. And if they get less miles then the Defenders in their life, you learn something. If you get more miles then the Defenders, you also learn something. But this will be at least a 4 year experiment. Of course you may find out early on that said tires are not as quiet, do not handle as well, and are generally less satisfying then the Defenders in total driving experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it only about miles for you? You imply that with this follow-up post.

I ask, because most owners want good reliable tires, with great handling, good ride and noise characteristics, and good life mileage, from a reputable brand.... not just mileage alone. For me personally, mileage is a secondary consideration in tire selection as I want well handling, fairly quiet, reliable tires. I would easily pay $200 more for these features over mileage. That said.. I have always found Defenders to be competitively priced when I am out shopping for tires.

Since you have not stated this tire with "similar UTOG", there is no way to comment about it.

You only presented your experience with the Defenders, a well known tire among CRV owners and generally well liked.

You missed my point --> you seem disappointed in only getting 56K miles on the Defenders, and I responded to that statement with my views on the matter. And no... a well maintained CRV does not chew through tires, but some owners do with their driving habits. You seem to think that if a tire company puts a mileage guarantee on a tire, you will get that mileage. I explained a range of reasons why that is not going to EVER be the case.

Everything I shared in my comment above remains applicable in terms of why tires don't get the "warrantied mileage" for many owners, especially AWD owners. Many owners, of many different vehicles in fact only get around 40-50K miles on Defenders, so your results are actually good.

By all means, if money is your only objective.. go with the cheaper tires. And if they get less miles then the Defenders in their life, you learn something. If you get more miles then the Defenders, you also learn something. But this will be at least a 4 year experiment. Of course you may find out early on that said tires are not as quiet, do not handle as well, and are generally less satisfying then the Defenders in total driving experience.

Can't say i care about road noise as i have the radio turned up. Handling is important but what is most important is how many miles can i get out of a tire for my $

You might pay a extra $200 for your tires because you do not drive far, i drive 200 miles a day just to work. That is 1,000 miles a week or 48,000 miles a year just driving to work and that is not counting errands on the weekends so the Defenders only lasted over a year. I paid $202 per tire in hopes that would last longer.

Any money i have to spend on tires, gas, car etc brings my wages down. That extra $200 for Defenders turns into $800 in 4 years. I am going by local tire prices, i have tired tire rack but had issues with one tire that they would not do anything about so i have always bought local after that.

I had a small car before hand and was getting 75,000 miles out of my tires it had over 300,000 miles on it, i guess i can not expect that on a CR-V since it's larger and weighs more.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Can't say i care about road noise as i have the radio turned up. Handling is important but what is most important is how many miles can i get out of a tire for my $

You might pay a extra $200 for your tires because you do not drive far, i drive 200 miles a day just to work. That is 1,000 miles a week or 48,000 miles a year just driving to work and that is not counting errands on the weekends so the Defenders only lasted over a year. I paid $202 per tire in hopes that would last longer.

Any money i have to spend on tires, gas, car etc brings my wages down. That extra $200 for Defenders turns into $800 in 4 years. I am going by local tire prices, i have tired tire rack but had issues with one tire that they would not do anything about so i have always bought local after that.

I had a small car before hand and was getting 75,000 miles out of my tires it had over 300,000 miles on it, i guess i can not expect that on a CR-V since it's larger and weighs more.
OK.. so noise is a non issue for you.

The two top rated tires on Consumer reports are the Michelin Defenders and the General Altimax RT43. Both are highly rated by CR customers, though some do complain about less then 90K miles on the Michelins... and a few actually report more then 90K miles.. so that again goes back to driving conditions and driving habits having a real effect on tire life.... not to mention AWD eats tires faster. Both get equal marks from CR across the board on handling, etc.

The Altimax are warranted for 75K miles (though CR tests resulted in 80K, and CR reports on Defenders were 90K), and are reported by owners as a lot noisier then the Michelins, though they are less expensive (by about 30% less on average) and few reports of early tread wearout (which makes sense since you can't generally have both quiet tires AND long mileage treadwear). So you might look into those as a less expensive choice, since you don't care about road noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Any suggestions?

I have used GENERAL ALTIMAX tires on several vehicles with great results. Life rating of 700. Great traction, even in winter. Quiet.
Last winter I found myself sliding a lot on my 2017 CRV EX's OEM tires with 20,000 miles. Changed to the ALTIMAX. Traction as good as the Michelin X-ice on my wife's car.
I believe the secret is the silica that they mix into the rubber. Great, truly all-season tires.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had Toyo Extensas on my '97 CR-V. They wore like iron, however, the grip was so poor that they were a very dangerous tire to own. And I felt every single bump in the road. In the rain, I could break the front wheels loose at half throttle. (The Kumhos I replaced them with never broke loose on wet pavement.) I finally got so tired of the poor ride and grip and got rid of them with probably another 20k miles left on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
mrtn
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing