303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Lizzurd,

I relied on the two screwdriver method last week and I snapped 3 of 13 bumper clips. It is quite possibly the first time those clips had ever been removed in 11 years and the plastic had become brittle and quite impregnated with dirt that pre-spraying with WD-40 did not resolve.

Besides that, there are numerous tight spaces that simply do not allow for the space of two opposing screwdrivers. So, yes, two screwdrivers can work with pretty good success but I make my living from tools and I long ago learned its a good practice to have the correct tool for the job…especially when they cost $10.

If all you have ever used is two screwdrivers then you will be pleasantly amazed at the convenience of this well-designed tool.

Note: Way back when...I could open beer bottles with my teeth but that doesn't mean that I didn't opt for a bottle opener.

Cheers

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did not have the benefit of the tool when I replaced my bumper cover. The job can be done with screwdrivers, but why lengthen the learning curve and increase job time? Next time I will have the proper tools.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,176 Posts
I use one or two small screwdrivers as well. I'm gettin' pretty good at removing these clips (both on Hondas and other makes).

The mistake many folks make is that they think pulling on the center "button" will fully remove the clip.

WRONG...what needs to be done is to pull that center locking button out 4 - 5 mm (1/4" for the Metrically Challenged) ... then pull the rest of the clip away by pulling straight down.

ArticDriver's second pic shows the locking button in the released position, ready for the clip body to be pulled away. Yes, over the years, the bottom of the plastic will take a set (spread apart), but removal can still done without damage.

++++++++++++++++

These clips are not nearly as frustrating as the electrical plug locking mechanisms on Chrysler Corp. cars... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Alright guys. To be clear, I never said that screwdrivers will always result in damage--but I have several clips here which were damaged by screwdriver method because plastic gets brittle after 11 years. I am pretty amazed at the responses here against this tool. Have you guys who recommend screwdrivers ever used this tool?

Looking at my receipt from Honda in Fairbanks, CLIP A-BUMPER (91503-SZ3-003) has a list price of $4.91 and was discounted to me at $3.93 EACH. This tool costs $10-$11 delivered to your door.

Can I take a poll? How many of you have only a pair of pliers in your tool box instead of sockets and wrenches because a nut can be removed with a pair of pliers?

Lol.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,176 Posts
My policy is "If you need a tool, BUY IT"

Luckily, I have a big garage... Now it has LOTS of tools.

It's just that I never needed to buy a tool like that to remove a clip, you know?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mod,

Can you please edit my thread title from "Required Tool" to "Suggested Tool".

BTW, I see you can buy 30 packs of these clips on Amazon at a steep discount (China knockoffs rather than OEM).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a 30 pack of clips on ebay for $7 delivered. They are identical to OEM.
Great to hear because I ordered some for same kind of price off Amazon or Ebay.

Figured they can't be much worse than these Honda OEM (which break on me far more than any other Honda owner it appears!!!)

Cheers

·
Registered
291 Posts
Great to hear because I ordered some for same kind of price off Amazon or Ebay.

Figured they can't be much worse than these Honda OEM (which break on me far more than any other Honda owner it appears!!!)

Cheers
It might be brittle from very low temperature in your area.

You can see how easy to remove clips at video @0:40 https://youtu.be/RkSkNbKH7Rk.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,176 Posts
Confession time:

Just got done with some work on the Honda Fit. Had to remove the front undertrays and both fender liners.

Broke three of the clips (SIGH). :mad:

Two of them cracked the center button when pried. I suspect the clip tool would have done that also. Luckily, I'm pretty frugal...by totally removing the button, I was able to turn the button 90 degrees so that it could be used the next time.

The third one had been ground down flat by scraping the front bumper on curbs, NOT MY FAULT! :rolleyes: LOL

Yes, the temp was pretty cold when I was removing the plastic...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have a small tool kit for road tripping with their Honda? Looking for recommendations on wrench/socket sizes essential for such a kit...used to have a motorbike and most of the tools required were in a small roll under the seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts