Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,547 Posts
Maybe wear and tear, but the only time I’ve seen it in action is when the dealer demonstrated it before the buy haha. I don’t use it either… maybe wear and tear during testing or just heat stress from the extreme heat nowadays… idk. Or maybe they (Honda) don’t really care about it because it’s not even visible unless you look for it
The part in question is essentially a rubber bumper for the sliding sun panel. As such, it is designed to flex and move when under contact with another surface (in this case the sliding sun panel). It's purpose is to act as a bumper and a stop point for the sliding sun shade... to avoid damage if you slam the shade closed by accident, and to prevent damage to the sun shade itself on it's front edge.

Consider this: normal friction based scratches on the plastic. Your vehicle riding down the road goes over all kinds of minor bumps and bounces, and that sliding screen in the closed position likely wiggles and vibrates it's edge to the rubber bumper.

Most owners probably never even notice it as it is a functional piece not a styling and finish piece. But if in doubt, sure.. visit your dealer (sooner rather than later) and get their appraisal of the marks. It's is probably normal, and if they confirm that, simply ask to see another CRV or two on their lot to confirm.

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
Hmm. I actually stumbled on a YouTube 2022 CR-V review and when he was demonstrating the sunroof I saw the same scratches on that brand new one. Must be some weird thing with the new CR-Vs but I’ll double check the next time I go to the dealer.
It's clearly a bumper guard of some sort. In other words, it is meant to take the casual friction or contact damage from repeat closures of the sun shade. I bet it even has some modest give and spring to it... which means it is meant to have something pressed or rubbed up against it.

But since it bothers you so much... why have you not checked in with your dealer, instead of continuing speculative discussion in the thread here?

·
Premium Member
9,547 Posts
Because my dealer is 70 minutes from where I live :D As I mentioned, I will check with them the next time I go there for something else.
We live in the modern era of electronic communications, particularly with dealerships and other businesses.

Why not reach out the the sales person who sold you the vehicle, send them a photo, and politely ask if this is normal, or something you should be concerned about? And if normal, could they send you back a photo from another CRV to support said statement? I know for a fact if I reached out to my sales guy, he would respond back in a timely and accurate manner (he knows me by name, because I literally make sure all my Honda purchases are via him as my sales person). Same for a service representative (I have two I know and who know me by name where my Hondas are serviced).

You don't actually need to go to the dealer in this case, unless the part actually needs to be replaced.

Doing the above also creates a record between you and the dealer about your concern, just in case it needs to be addressed at a later time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts